Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Wal Mart to get some AC charger and found that none fit my car since the AC valve in my 300SEL has the screw type, with thread, not the pop-in type as most other car.

I went to Craken auto part and the guy work there told me our car uses diff type. Not only the valve adapter, but also it need freon. On most other newer cars use diff type of charger. For our car, we have to bring it in to the pro to do it for those 2 reasons.

Is it true?

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
RNMB, have been living under a stone for the past 10 years? Our W126 uses the old freon R12, and after 94 they switched the R134a.

Nowaday, it will be very hard to find R12 and most of places have them will charge you about $50 a lb (my A/C takes 2.2 lb). R134a, on the other hand, cost you about $8 for a 12oz can.

Whether you could just charge the R134a directly into your A/C system (with DIY fitting change) has been well discussed on verious forums.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,739 Posts
I had my 300SEL retrofitted to R134a last summer. It cost me about $200.
By the way, the first shop I took it to kept it all day and then told me they did not have the correct adapter. The next shop specialized in high end vehicles and got the job done.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NewMBie, Michael,
thanks.

NewMBie,
This car was belong to my dad for a long time and recently (almost a year now) he got sick and couldn't drive anymore. He likes this car so much and is always sad about his sickness which limit him to drive and work. So I decided to keep the car as my second car, also hoping noe day he will get better and can be able to drive again. This is the reason why I don't know much about this car (still learning)

I hope this is the last question I have to ask about this topic. Base on what you said, if i can retrofit the valve so that I can pump R134a into my car, then it'll be fine right? There are still some old freon surrently in the car
Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NewMBie, Michael,
thanks.

NewMBie,
This car was belong to my dad for a long time and recently (almost a year now) he got sick and couldn't drive anymore. He likes this car so much and is always sad about his sickness which limit him to drive and work. So I decided to keep the car as my second car, also hoping noe day he will get better and can be able to drive again. This is the reason why I don't know much about this car (still learning)

I hope this is the last question I have to ask about this topic. Base on what you said, if i can retrofit the valve so that I can pump R134a into my car, then it'll be fine right? There is still some old freon currently in the car
Thanks.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
NewMBie - 4/24/2005 9:42 AM

RNMB, have been living under a stone for the past 10 years? Our W126 uses the old freon R12, and after 94 they switched the R134a.

Nowaday, it will be very hard to find R12 and most of places have them will charge you about $50 a lb (my A/C takes 2.2 lb). R134a, on the other hand, cost you about $8 for a 12oz can.

Whether you could just charge the R134a directly into your A/C system (with DIY fitting change) has been well discussed on verious forums.
i do full charge of R12 (2.3LBs) at a shop for mere 50 bucks..that is 13.3 US Dollars when converted.. shall i send u some R12 [:D]

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Where does the boss live, may have some biz com'n your way.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I would recommend staying w/ the R12 (freon) our car's were never designed for R134a and they will Never cool as well w/ that in their system..the molecules are not nearly as efficient.

Also, when ever I am looking at a used car one's that still have their R12 systems is Always a plus in my book.

Jonathan

And seriously, where have you been dude[:p][;)]

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
Classified - 4/25/2005 3:56 PM

Where does the boss live, may have some biz com'n your way.
i have been lookin into this business for many months very seriously.. exporting cosmetic parts, R12 and other misc benz stuff from here to US.. bcuz i can have that for dirt cheap here.. like three to four times less than what u would pay for it in US

can even ship engines and trannies.. just afriad of emission testing and cost of freight

i live in saudi arabia..find it funny R134a is like $50 USD per LB here..

just the opposite of u ppl.. :)

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
If you want a CHEAP fix to your lack of finding R12? Not recamened but it works. Use Propaine. Works fine, Just don't get cought filling your A/C system with it... It BEE ILLEGAL in the US.

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
TheRazz - 4/28/2005 2:52 AM
If you want a CHEAP fix to your lack of finding R12? Not recamened but it works. Use Propaine. Works fine, Just don't get cought filling your A/C system with
it... It BEE ILLEGAL in the US.
Charging the system with Propane - won't that be explosive & turn you car into a time bomb?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
RNMB,

I’m not sure if anyone answered your question what with illegal propane and bombs but to use r134a you would need to convert the system parts to accomodate that refrigerant. If you do that your car won’t cool as well but you will be able to grab a bottle of r134a off of any auto parts shelf and recharge via the low pressure port.

R12 is much more efficient, the cold is really cold: my 500 is r134a and it is not as cold as my r12 300. BUT, as noted above the refrigerant for r12 can be expensive. (My 500 is more of a winter/night car…)

If you live somewhere that’s not horrendously hot then an r134a conversion my be OK.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Everybody SAYS that R134a doesn't blow as cold as R12, but I am of the opinion that it does. When we had the compressor in the 300sdl swapped and retrofitted with R134 we conducted a test using a standard thermometer. The R134 produced air with a temperature of around 37 degrees, which if I recall correctly is virtually as cold as the air can get without freezing over the system.

·
Registered
1987 560 SEL
105 Posts
Just had my complete system replaced and it blows so cold I wish I had done it last year. Here is what it cost me to go to the new system, my mechanic charged me $350.00 labor for the replacement. All the system was completelty flushed and cleaned.

Part Number Description Your Price Quantity Total
0002302511 AC Compressor; Complete with Clutch; OE Rebuilt $422.98 1 $422.98
1268300384 AC Expansion Valve $21.81 1 $21.81
0119976348 O-Ring/Gasket/Seal; A/C Compressor to Manifold Hose; 21mm $0.75 4 $3.00
1268300383Z Receiver Drier/Accumulator $31.13 1 $31.13
2% DISCOUNT ADDITIONAL 2% Discount (Order Over $250) ($9.58) 1 ($9.58)
Parts Total $469.34

Total Before Shipping Charges $469.34
Shipping Charges for UPS Blue $21.52

Grand Total $490.86

Total for the new system installed was only about $850

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Replaced my entire system too. Went with the freon. I don't buy the whole R-134 B.S.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
danwatt - 5/1/2005 4:09 PM

Bad news for everybody that converted to R-134a... it's about to be banned too. Prices for 134 have skyrocketed.[/QUOTE

You've got to be kidding. I just had the 560 converted this last week. I am getting a little tired of the conservationist. If they wanna sweat that's fine, but I want my car cold.lol To many people in the government getting into our cars, our bedrooms, and our personal space.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
JR_Rider - 4/28/2005 1:07 AM

Everybody SAYS that R134a doesn't blow as cold as R12, but I am of the opinion that it does. When we had the compressor in the 300sdl swapped and retrofitted with R134 we conducted a test using a standard thermometer. The R134 produced air with a temperature of around 37 degrees, which if I recall correctly is virtually as cold as the air can get without freezing over the system.
***Don't know where these treads have gone or been but you are confusing "blowing cold" with system capacity. Sure R134a retrofit will "blow cold" in Maine - try it in Tucson in August.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
R134-a sucks.. period..

other wise toyota and mazda wouldnt be moving back to R12 for their middle east and gulf specification vehicles

mercedes, honda, and some other vehicle manufacturers compensated the inefficiency of R134-a by increasing refrigation BTU capacity.. sometimes resulted in horrendously power sucking compressor on econo box Inline 4 engnes..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts