Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i am new in this community, i have e300 1996 model, the thing is one of my loudspeakers in the back is blown, should i replace both of them with aftermarket ones? or just a single with a stock one? this is how the model looks like

i actually have no idea what to do, should i look for the same stock speaker somewhere, or i should get an aftermarket ones, will the sound quality change in the better side? or it may become worse? i have never dealt with sound systems. any suggestions, and maybe you guys have specs for these speakers because i cannot find any info about them, thank you so much for your time.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,089 Posts
personally, I'm not that picky with auto sound as much as I am with my home
system. so if it were me, I would just find a matching size and matching 4ohm
speaker which will bolt in and leave it at that. having said that, I'm hoping
more selective folks or audiophiles can chime in and suggest a counterpoint
opinion to balance the comments....in which case I can blend or fade into the
background.

·
Registered
1998 e430
383 Posts
while not an audiophile, i'll offer my 2 cents...

are there salvage yards in your area? if so, i'd look there for the cheapest fix. don't worry about replacing just 1, as long as it's the same type.

there are also plenty on ebay but, the prices i see are probably comparable to what you'd pay for a decent aftermarket pair.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
You probably will not be able to get a new one and a used one will likely be not in good shape either. Get a 4-Ohm rated speaker pair maybe from Crutchfield. You can check the speakers that fit for your 1996 E300 rear speakers.

Kenwood KFC-1666S 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

Note that it appears the original one has a low pass filter (capacitor / coil as seen. I am not sure it it has a tweeter on the top side. But I believe the Kenwood ones should be fine (as long as they are 4-ohms)

·
Registered
1991 500SL, 1998 E320, 2009 E350
53 Posts
Getting a used one will probably leave you in the same situation again soon enough. I did a full sound system in my '98 E320 with 6 new speakers and a Pioneer head unit. For all the speakers I used Connects2 speaker adapters made for the W210. Makes installation bolt in, all you have to do is take out the factory speakers.. screw in the speaker adapters into the factory holes (or it just clips in for the rear shelf speakers), and then screw on your aftermarket speakers. I cut off the 2-wire harness plug on the old MB speakers and connected them to my new aftermarket speaker wiring with some butt connectors.

The part number for the rear shelf speaker adapters is CT25MC07. I think I paid like $20ish shipped for the pair.

They can be found here: CT25MC07 Mercedes E Class (1995 - 2002) 165mm Rear Shelf Speaker Adaptor
As well as many other sources online.

If you're planning on doing the replacement yourself, I'd set aside quite a bit of time to take the rear shelf apart to change them. If you don't do this kind of work all the time, it might be best to just take it to someone familiar with these cars and let them install the aftermarket speakers and adapters for you to avoid a lot of pain and breaking things lol. It's almost impossible that some clips won't break during disassembly of the rear shelf, but I highly recommend you replace all the clips as well for re-installation to avoid any rattling noise. Also, if you do it yourself you can send me a message and I can send you the factory disassembly steps for removing the rear shelf.

If you pursue this option, make sure you get some 4-Ohm resistance speakers (as it says on the original speakers in the image you posted) and you'll want 6.5" speakers to fit in the adapters I mentioned.

Connects2 also offers adapters for the front door speakers (fit 6.5" speakers) and for the rear door speakers (fit 5.25" speakers) if you ever need to do those as well.

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
194 Posts
My front speakers had busted foam surrounds. Figured it would be better to buy off the shelf speakers and just replace them. After installation I found the new speakers were not as sensitive as the original Merc speakers. Had to balance the sound using the fader control, with fader set to more front than back. Sounded really shitty if you asked me. Eventually got new surrounds and just did the resurround myself after watching a Youtube vid or two. My suggestion would be to either get a direct replacement from a breaker, or get a complete speaker change and have it installed by a qualified installer. Just get decent quality drivers and you should be okay. The later option is most probably more exspensive to have done. Depending on the brand you go for, it will most probably end up sounding better than the MB system

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
My front speakers had busted foam surrounds. Figured it would be better to buy off the shelf speakers and just replace them. After installation I found the new speakers were not as sensitive as the original Merc speakers. Had to balance the sound using the fader control, with fader set to more front than back. Sounded really shitty if you asked me. Eventually got new surrounds and just did the resurround myself after watching a Youtube vid or two. My suggestion would be to either get a direct replacement from a breaker, or get a complete speaker change and have it installed by a qualified installer. Just get decent quality drivers and you should be okay. The later option is most probably more exspensive to have done. Depending on the brand you go for, it will most probably end up sounding better than the MB system
Need to match the impedance. Especially with Bose speakers.

·
Registered
1998 W210 E280
194 Posts
They were matched, just not very efficent. Something like 86db sensitivity, so needed more power to get the same amount of volume as the original MB drivers.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,542 Posts
Get them repaired if your happy with the sound from them thats just what i did with the pair in dash by the window .The heat rots the suspension cone out . I had mine re coned .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts