Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many pics of the conversion of W126s from the U.S spec lights to Euros. Some people just install the new Euros without the vacuum adjustment switch and no city, or "dipped beam" light connections. Others go ahead and do the full deal, vacuum adjustment and all. I notice the "full deal" is done mostly to gassers. I've yet to see a diesel model with the full Euro light treatment done. Is there a reason why it cannot be done on a diesel W126, or is it that I have not come upon any pictures of a diesel 126 with the full treatment?
-Joe

·
Registered
One Smoke Silver '87 570SEC, one Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,521 Posts
You should be able to do the Euro Headlights into a diesel 126 - same chassis and similar electrical system to the gasser.

I didn't hook up the vacuum height adjusters for the Euro headlights in my SEC since the SEC has a self-leveling hydraulic rear suspension and the headlights never need re-aiming to compensate for attitude changes in the chassis from loads. That is likely the reason many others haven't bothered with it either.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
You should be able to do the full conversion.. and it should be an easy plug and play.

I also noticed that those who own diesel rarely do any mods. So that can explain a little.. and also on average, the owners seem to be "cheaper" than gasser owners. Thats just my observation and I am not making any personal attacks.

AFAIK... I don't think a diesel w126 existed outside the US market. So all diesel w126 were US specs. Thats another reason why you rarely see the full treatment.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to answer your question too Snibble, and yes, the 300SDs were only for the U.S and Canadian markets.
-Joe

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Snibble - 2/19/2005 11:46 AM

You should be able to do the full conversion.. and it should be an easy plug and play.

I also noticed that those who own diesel rarely do any mods. So that can explain a little.. and also on average, the owners seem to be "cheaper" than gasser owners. Thats just my observation and I am not making any personal attacks.

AFAIK... I don't think a diesel w126 existed outside the US market. So all diesel w126 were US specs. Thats another reason why you rarely see the full treatment.
That statement is so true about Diesel owners being "cheaper." That of course does not apply to me, but I see beatup SDs all the time, and sometimes it makes me want to debadge my sd. But I could never own a gasoline w126 unless it was a 560 with either a euro engine or some kind of forced induction. The mileage on the w126 gasoline engines is beyond horrendous. I don't know how you all can muster it!! I once saw an original window sticker for a 420sel and it said city 16 highway 18!! That is garbage!!! And we all know theses numbers are "dreams" so let's not think about what mileage they really get. And the 300sel are just so slow for a gasoline engine, it is not worth it to me. And their mileage still isn't that hot on top of that. And you all have to use Premium fuel on top of that.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
JR_Rider - 2/19/2005 2:07 PM

And the 300sel are just so slow for a gasoline engine, it is not worth it to me.
Incorrect. The 300 SE/L is very quick and the engine is more than capable of keeping up with traffic and negotiating on ramps. The M103 is strong and reliable – a gas version of the OM617, if you will.

The fuel mileage has more to do with the weight of the car rather than the size of the engine. The gas powered 126s have fuel mileage similar to modern SUVs and larger trucks. For me, the joy of a Mercedes V8 is well worth the price of fuel.

Joe –

Member vwbuge installed Euros on his 85 300 SD. Do a search with his ID, there’s a tread about installing them. As noted above there is no difference among the various 126s and the installation of Euro lamps. You will need to use a six-pin plug, as Euros will not work with the standard US four pin. Other than that no other conversions are needed.

The light adjusters are common in Europe due to the widespread use of trailers. A loaded trailer could cause the front end to rise and lights would be lowered to compensate to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
jdc1244a - 2/19/2005 3:37 PM

And the 300sel are just so slow for a gasoline engine, it is not worth it to me.
Incorrect. The 300 SE/L is very quick and the engine is more than capable of keeping up with traffic and negotiating on ramps. The M103 is strong and reliable – a gas version of the OM617, if you will.

The fuel mileage has more to do with the weight of the car rather than the size of the engine. The gas powered 126s have fuel mileage similar to modern SUVs and larger trucks. For me, the joy of a Mercedes V8 is well worth the price of fuel.

The 300se/l is very quick, compared to what, a 240d??? Let's be honest with ourselves now, the 300se/l is nowhere near quick!! It has 177 hp and 188 lb/ft of torque. Mileage is 16/20

Joe –

Member vwbuge installed Euros on his 85 300 SD. Do a search with his ID, there’s a tread about installing them. As noted above there is no difference among the various 126s and the installation of Euro lamps. You will need to use a six-pin plug, as Euros will not work with the standard US four pin. Other than that no other conversions are needed.

The light adjusters are common in Europe due to the widespread use of trailers. A loaded trailer could cause the front end to rise and lights would be lowered to compensate to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
jdc1244a - 2/19/2005 3:37 PM

Joe –

The 300se/l aren't slow compared to what, a 240d. Who are we trying to fool?? The 300se/l has 177 hp and 188 ft-lbs and weighs 3875 lbs. Let's be serious.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Zero, I would never purchase a w126 300se/l. But what does that have to do with anything. I work at Mercedes Repair shop, so I have had the opportunity to drive plenty of them. Nothing to call home over. The owner of the shop also has a 1991 300se, which I can drive whenever I want, but I have no such desire. I was not attacking your choice of cars, just emphasizing the fact that the 300se/l isn't even close to fast.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
To compare one to a 240 D (or a 300 SD, for that mater) and characterize one as ‘just so slow’ is nonsense. I’m perfectly capable of driving like a crazy person in my 300 SE. [}:)][;)]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

It's not just trailers since even a fully loaded trailer should never exceed 200Lbs on the tongue or you're doing it wrong! What Mercedes does say is that with a lot of luggage in the trunk dip the beams, for passengers in the back seat dip them and for both luggage and passengers use setting 3. This all applies to non-hydro cars since hydro cars don't have the height adjuster but instead have the big knob that adjusts the height of the whole car. (total travel is disabled on US cars)
The NHTSA considers all of this **way** above US drivers abilities.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Well, if you don't have the aircon on, very light load and stay on the speed limit without changing speed, you could get decent mileage from a W126. So far my best with the 560SEL was 365 miles before filling up.

·
Registered
Very Black 86 420sel
108 Posts
[/QUOTE]

<snip> ... The mileage on the w126 gasoline engines is beyond horrendous ... I once saw an original window sticker for a 420sel and it said city 16 highway 18!! That is garbage!!! And we all know theses numbers are "dreams" ... [/QUOTE]

Actually, that's exactly the mileage I get ...

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
The 300SE takes some getting used to before you can get the full potential out of it. Wait till you can feel the car with your foot. For me, 0-60 is in the mid eights. But once you get some momentum going, you can pass by most of the cars out there.

Sadly, I'm going to be selling my 300SE for a 240D soon. I'm scared.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Ive driven a 300SE, and that car screams. Very quick for a big body Benz with a 6 CYL. Its not THAT slow. I mean, you cant compare it to a 560, even a 420, but its not that slow.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a 1989 300SE, which I purchased new. The performance, while not breathtaking, is more than adequate. I have had no mechanical issues to speak of, except the minor problems associated to the 126's. A pure joy. My wife will not give it up. Pearl black, w/gray interior.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
My 88 300TE isn't a Real mover, but once the engine gets a bit of RPM in her things do just fine.

Just a bit of info on mileage, but in my 560's I get about 19-21 on the highway, 15-16 around town. My record is 23 and change in my SEL.

Also, diesel here in Atlanta costs More then Premium.. My one consideration for getting a diesel would be to switch it to a grease/bio diesel set up.

Jonathan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts