Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL600
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing a Continental TR7412UB-OR in my 2000 SL600. I’ve read through the various threads, which all indicate that it’s plug and play except that you need to swicth the red retained power with the yellow switched power. However, Looking at the pinout in the Continental’s manual, it looks to me that the pinouts don’t match the Benz wiring. For example, the Benz connector position B3 is yellow switched power, but the continental B3 is a speaker connection. Here’s the diagram from the manual and a picture of my connector.

Am I missing something? Did the Benz pinouts change from the earlier R129s? Can someone point me to a diagram for the OEM Becker unit? Also, is the connector in the posted photo the only one that’s needed? I know the fiber optic one isn’t used with the continental. How about the other one? I hope it’s not needed, because it’s a completely different arrangement of the pins. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
160 Posts
Its plug and play. Only difference I remember on my ‘98 is that the Conti did not switch on with ignition. Id have to switch it on everytine I started the car.

·
Registered
2000 SL600
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that’s what all the posts in various threads have said. I’m trying to reconcile the difference between the pinout as described in the continental’s manual and what I’m seeing in on the Benz connector. I’m reluctant to plug it in until I’m sure it’s correct.

Look at the two attachments. I’m holding the Benz connector in the same orientation that it would plug into the Continental radio. The yellow wire would correspond to B3, which is Front right + speaker. The red wire would go to A8, which is Power Ground. I don’t get it...

·
Registered
2000 SL600
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plug it already, it wont blow up. If everything works then its ok.
Geez, that’s difficult for me! The damned wiring doesn’t match the diagram!! Can someone explain this please please please! Am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
1994 SL 500
12 Posts
I think if you will check it out with a tester that you will find that A7 is switched power and A4 is battery power on the Benz. These are the two that need to be switched to make the radio come on when the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
2000 SL600
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think if you will check it out with a tester that you will find that A7 is switched power and A4 is battery power on the Benz. These are the two that need to be switched to make the radio come on when the ignition is turned on.
OK, I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
2000 SL600
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 CLK55 AMG, 2014 GLK250
225 Posts
I have installed a Conti TR7412UB-OR in my CLK55 AMG and trying to access the system settings. The manual says to hold the DISP button and press the >>> button to cycle through the settings, all I am getting is radio and clock. Am I missing something? Other than that the radio and BT work great.

·
Registered
GLE350 / 2017, E350 coupe / 2014, SL500 / 1997
116 Posts
I have installed a Conti TR7412UB-OR in my 1997 SL500. It is mostly plug and play.
I switched A4 and A7 wires (ignition and regular 12volt). I did that by opening up the iso plug as described in this topic.
I did need a iso to din antenna plug adapter, 99ct on ebay shipped from China but i ordered it from amazon to have it quickly(1 day).
Furthermore, the mounting bracket cannot be put in first as the side tabs that click in the radio do not have space left and right of that bracket. So i put the bracket around the radio and pushed it in the opening. It is snug enough and will not come out quickly.
Bluetooth integration is basic, no addressbook or info about the call. Also basic for the music over BT. But it works. Sound quality is ok (spoiled by modern high end entertainment systems). FM reception is ok, but not excellent. I noticed on a few locations that the reception is less good then I have in my newer cars. Could be the antenna as I have the integrated cell phone antenna (black top part of the antenna mast).
all and all happy with the result and it looks great.
Original mercedes radio stored in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts