Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ; 2000 E320
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car around the latter part of July last year. As soon as I got it, I had the Service A done, so the oil was changed then. I drove the car a decent bit in the summer putting on about 2,500 miles or so. However, I started graduate school in August and decided not to bring the Benz to school with me. To make a long story short, the car is not driven much at all. My mom and dad will take it out occassionally, but that's about it. From August until now, the car has been driven maybe 200 miles. It sits in a garage for the most part. My question is, do you think I need to change oil soon? I know that Mobil 1 synthethic will last longer than 3,000 miles, but my car has basically been sitting in a garage for the last couple of months. What do you think I should do? Also, are there any other things I should do before I start driving it again in the Spring?

P.S: There is only about 23,xxx some miles on the car.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I plan to let the Mobil 1 go 12 months. My mileage will probably be around 4000 miles per year. A (or B) service every 12 months should cover it. I know some people are very conservative and will change it more often than 12 months, but I figure if MB recommends 12 months or 10,000 miles that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Don't all R170 SLKs come with free scheduled maintenance including an oil change for 4 years and 50K miles? With synthetic oil, I would not worry about the car sitting.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1978 450SLC, 1971 220D
51 Posts
Remember: On Mercedes vehicles equipped with the flexible service system (FSS), it not only monitors driving habits and miles, but also time. Therefore, if the time that the car "thinks" the oil is good for is exceeded, the system will let you know with the flashing single or double wrench in the milage display.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts