Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1965 220SEb coupe 1988 560SEC 1993 300CE
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo....I foolishly over filled my transmission with ATF on Sunday

I was planning on just draining a bit later this week; Unfortunately, this did not get communicated to the wife who drove car yesterday.

Smoke, but not tons, ensued.

Obviously, I still need to drain the over-fill; however, my main question is whether driving, even for a short bit, at free-way speeds will have damaged the transmission.

I am used to the old SLC's tranny which is just a bullet-proof, slush-box so I am rather concerned that I have burst a seal or something.

Please advise!!!!

Thanks,

CV

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
It should not have caused any major damage to the transmission, as your wife drove only for short distances. Since it is overfilled, there will be a lot of leaks. If you drive the car for long hours, especially in summer, the leaking ATF can get heated and may cause fire. This is very rare. This is probably the reason why you had your car smoking. I would check and see whether this has damaged any other parts of the engine. Like rubber hoses, etc. Some times the over filled fluid can get aerated. This can cause abnormal operation of the transmission. Other experienced members may have more advice on this issue. Let's wait for their inputs.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,131 Posts
I've driven mine after a garage overfilled it. Lots of white smoke. No apparent damage though. You can buy manual suction pumps to remove some of the fluid?

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
As mentioned above the fluid can mix with air and foam. That foam gets pumped through the transmission. That's not at all good for lubrication.

·
Registered
1965 220SEb coupe 1988 560SEC 1993 300CE
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all clear...thanks for the help

I am happy to report that we have got the fluid problem under control and nothing seems worse for the screw-up.

We live a block from a kwik-e-lube type place. As I was stuck at work, I had ye olde better half putt the SEC over there. After all these years of screwing around with old cars, she is well versed in what to say and how to say it.

As such, the excess fluid was siphoned off, checked, and checked again.

The car now runs much better! Surprise, surprise.

Anyhoo, many thanks to those who chimed in. I appreciate the help!

CV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts