Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CLK-320 Cabrio (W208)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: is the pump is supposed to stop running when the roll bar (rear head rests) are raised or lowered to their limits?

Issue: Yesterday when my sister borrowed my 2003 CLK-320 Cabrio (W208), she went to lower the top and the windows went down, the rear bow lock cylinder released (at least partially, don't know if all the way), and then it stopped (with the bow about 1/2" above the deck). It wouldn't move either way after that and now the red light on the switch flashes slowly when pressed. She locked the front closed and drove it home.

When I tried to raise or lower the roll bar, it moves up and down with no problem, but I noticed when I moved the roll bar it caused the bow lock cylinder to actuate a bit. However, when you hold the roll bar raise button it goes to the top and stops moving but the pump keeps running. Similarly, when you hold the roll bar down button, it lowers all the way but the pump keeps running until you release the button. I'm wondering whether this is normal, or whether it's supposed to shut off the pump when they are all the way down or up (thinking maybe I have a bad position switch or something so the system doesn't know the roll bar is up/down and won't let the roof move).

I've since manually opened the deck and don't appear to have any leaking cylinders (I replaced a leaking bow lock cylinder last fall) and the hydraulic fluid reservoir is full.

I've swapped the fuel pump and roof relays to test the roof relay by the pump and that didn't help anything.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 CLK-320 Cabrio (W208)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies... Anyway, can someone just tell me, when you push the button to lower or raise the rollbar, can you hear the pump stop when it gets to the bottom or top, or does the pump keep running as long as the button is held down?

Thanks.

·
Registered
CLK 320 2001
118 Posts
my situation was the same.

Hi hit a curb, wheel left the ground and rollbars shot up. I heard the same noises you did and was forced to dig deeper. I removed the seat cushions and found a few parts under the seat; a washer, a cup like metal part and a fancy spanner screw with two holes in it for a spanner bit. The short of it was that I found these parts that keep the hydraulic vertical arm that sends the rollbar up and down. However, if the car thinks its going to roll then the cup piece is released from an actuator send the rollbar up fast! The up then down reset in the manual is suppose to re-engage the vertical rod which assends into the metal cop. Mine would not engage since it fell off.

What a clever but poorly fabricated system. The scew that holds the cup in place had no lockwasher or thread lock. I will post some pictures plus a diy later on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts