Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Brilliant Silver Metallic SL600, '02 Tectite Gray Metallic G500
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the cigarette lighter at the back of the center console be programmed to only power whatever is plugged into it if the ignition is turned on? Right now it is always powered on. This is a pain because I just installed a Bluetooth unit that is powered by a cigarette lighter and connects to COMMAND via the aux in. Right now I have to unplug it every time I leave the truck so the battery does not die.

Also, I a bit unrelated to the topic, I seem to have a ground loop hum. The cigarette lighter probably has a different ground than the COMMAND unit. I read on Amazon that someone used a ground lifter for tft wires to avoid the hum. That worked but I'm concerned about the risks of using a cheater plug. What do you guys think? I know it is a bad thing to do I ones house.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
I purchased and had wired in a 2X cigarette lighter plug and 2X USB combo plug. I had them locate it down near my right knee.. (left side of the shifter). It's perfect location to USB plug in my ipod, NAV etc. They are slick and can be located wherever. I am not sure where they wired it into but works when the truck is on. Have you tried to power off the main cigarett lighter in the front? I know it's not very stealthy, but to see if you get the same humm of interference?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried that but I will. I also have need to try moving the wires to see if there is another source for feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts