Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all, I'm new to the forum.

I just picked up a 1982 300D Turbo from the Dallas police auction for $175. It's in pretty decent shape, runs well. 280K, which as I understand is middle age for the diesels. The only major problem is that the thing doesn't want to go anywhere. I think the transmission is toast - you put it in gear, and it won't move. And, between the time the car was on the block and the time it was delivered by tow truck, someone took off with the dipstick.

dfwdiesel, I read some of your posts - do you have a source for a used tranny and such for this thing among the local salvage yards? Any other information for sustaining this 300D in Dallas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Al's Pick and Pull, old I-75 location or the second Ave location, also try Pick and Pull at Loop 12 and Main St NW corner off the loop 12 service road. There could be two or 3 transmsmission or none in stock. If none or bad looking ones try salvage row on Jefferson going out of GP to Dallas. Severel yards with 300D's.

You have get an 82-85 300D turbo trans to match it.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the difference?

I take it Mercedes used a different trans on the turbos? What's the difference between that and the one on the regular 300D?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
More sophisticated on the 300D turbos, there is vacuum and cable control.

early 123 300...

More sophisticated on the 300D turbos, there is vacuum and cable control.

early 123 300D's rely on linkage, next they went to
vacuum.

Early SD turbo's did use the old 4 bolt pan models.

When you replace a trans on a Turbo it is fatter, and has less room in the tunnel then the old four bolt pan transmission.

There are unconfirmed rumours of 201 series 190D transmisions going into 82- 85 300D's.

If it was my 300D turbo I would wait patiently for a match and then if found pull right away. Sometimes they are plentiful and other times none to be found.

Average DIY RR is one day, with pros much faster. I have come to like Mercedes transmission jobs. 15 year old son can now do most of the work.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it does not require removal of the engine, then?

I assume it does not require removal of the engine, then?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Some books suggest removing the engine. But I never do, the top two bolts from the engine ...

Some books suggest removing the engine. But I never do, the top two bolts from the engine to trans can be a pain to reach, but doable with a triple flex 3/8 socket wrench from Wally World. Also letting the engine move down by taking the rear transmission mount
down also makes those two bolts accessable.

The salvage yard is a good place to practice. After you have done it, it will seem simple, but requires twisting the wrench in a contorted manner with little room to turn it.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's how I think it is, it's very similar to the transmission on my Jaguar XJ6, so I'm ...

If it's how I think it is, it's very similar to the transmission on my Jaguar XJ6, so I'm familiar with that sort of technique. OK. Any other pointers or tips?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
The Haynes book gives a step by step procedure, the Mercedes 123 CDROM set ignores RR tran...

The Haynes book gives a step by step procedure, the Mercedes 123 CDROM set ignores RR transmission replacement, but does tell taking the engine and trans as a unit. Haynes forgets to tell about the two upper engine to trans bolts being difficult to reach.

From time to time Al's pick and pull has a Jag sedan or two. Even had one with a Chevy V-8 for awhile.

Only other tip is our first Mercedes 123 Trans RR took severel days, now takes one day and could be faster if we were really wanted to.

Good luck. After doing it once bad transmission Mercedes will look different. I do pull the pan first, if it is not full of chunks will sometimes
replace the filter and fluid to see what happens.

If the vacuum hose to modulator is loose/clogged will seem like a bad trans. Have had vacuum/or clogged
filter/worn transmission fluid masquerade as bad transmissions too.

John Gregg

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I'll have to check it. The problem is that the thing does go into gear and spin, but t...

OK, I'll have to check it. The problem is that the thing does go into gear and spin, but the output shaft does not move at all.

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
before you replace the transmission check the 2 flex discs attached to either end of the drive shaft they do rip and leave you inop.

G

·
0 Posts
Try replacing the tranny fluid
and filter first also get a dipstick.
Could be that it is low on fluid.
When getting the ATF buy some TRANS-X
and add according to info on the bottle.

This is cheaper and easier than swapping
tranny's.
If it works then you have a cheap fix if
not then you didn't spend to much $$$.

Louis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.