Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Tele Aid System will work in an accident even if you don't have a subscription?

I was wondering if after an accident you can call and get help if you need it, and if they know where you are.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32AMG,1995 E320 Cab 1990 300CE(Gone).2002 ML320 (Gone)
477 Posts
Isn't the original tele-aid dead ?

As far as I know the analogue Tele-Aid went dark late last year.
MB were offering to update it to digital for a (high) price.
I'm still left with that ugly carbuncle on my trunk lid though..

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer, like you say ugly bump, and no help if and when you need some....... :mad:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 - Magma Red
91 Posts
Ugly Carbuncle - very descriptive.

General Motors also shut down their analog "OnStar" system. There is currently a class action law suit work on the GM side and there was one advertisment on this form concerning the possibility of initiating one aganist MB.

I believe the issue is that the company does not hve to drop the analog-there were permitted to do so. In doing so, the manufacturer is disabling an option on a private vichle without consent of the owner.

Have not heard much in the last few months on this issue but is does present an interesting court test.

Original question-no subscription; no automatic accident reporting.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32AMG,1995 E320 Cab 1990 300CE(Gone).2002 ML320 (Gone)
477 Posts
TeleAid was never about safety, anyway

I always thought that Tele-Aid was just a revenue stream for MB. I never renewed it after the first year for this reason.
By using the safety angle MB/GM try to get customers on the hook with renewable contracts.
I tried to buy my SLK without it but was told that it was standard on all 2002 models - Can you buy a Mercedes in the US without it these days ?

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugly Carbuncle - very descriptive.

General Motors also shut down their analog "OnStar" system. There is currently a class action law suit work on the GM side and there was one advertisment on this form concerning the possibility of initiating one aganist MB.

I believe the issue is that the company does not hve to drop the analog-there were permitted to do so. In doing so, the manufacturer is disabling an option on a private vichle without consent of the owner.

Have not heard much in the last few months on this issue but is does present an interesting court test.

Original question-no subscription; no automatic accident reporting.
Seems to me they have taken away a major safety system the car had when I bought it, I don't like that at all..... :mad:

·
Registered
2007 SLK350 Sport
186 Posts
Tele-Aid

Since dropping analog Tele-aid impacts all MB owners, not just R170's this seems like an ideal topic to be broadcast across all models on the Benzworld Forums. A class action could well follow. However if the reason that the service is terminated is that the cellular companies are switching entirely to digital how could MB be liable?

·
Registered
SLK 320, 450 SL
629 Posts
MB told me only 2005 and newer (which are digital) will work, or as said before with a digital upgrade on pre 2005 models, at a cost they would not divulge other than well over one thousand dollars.

They ended a safety item that was used as a sales tool without notice. :(

·
Registered
2007 SLK350 Sport
186 Posts
Tele-aid

This from a Google search and a potential lawsuit...............

Mercedes-Benz will be switching to digital, cutting off nearly 200,000 of its 420,000 subscribers to Tele Aid. Owners of 2000-2006 models will have to get an upgrade as well, but the cost for the new equipment ranges from $600 to $1,500.

Apparently, Mercedes was behind the technology curve when it designed, built and installed the Tele-Aid systems in its vehicles, in that it used exclusively the old-fashioned "analog" cellular communication frequencies, even up to the 2006 model year.

The FCC announced in November 2002 that as the end of 2007 it would no longer mandate that cellular carriers support the old analog cell phone systems. Mercedes continued to sell the outdated system to unsuspecting buyers for another four years or more, knowing not only that the technology was obsolete but that it would soon be wholly unworkable.

Online blogs estimate that somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 current Mercedes Tele-Aid customers will be affected by this, either losing their service entirely or paying up to $2,000.00 for an upgrade. So far, Mercedes has offered only a $200.00 rebate with a two year future subscription to Tele-Aid (which it would cost the customer another $480 to buy.)

The lawsuit seeks to represent certain owners of Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with Tele-Aid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts