Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum Users,
I became intrested into purchasing a mercedes. A 190E or a 220ce, used 1990's era models. Pretty good pricing on them. But I have questions about the build quality of these cars. I know bmw build quality is superb. How is MB build quality? I am just tired of american made quality cars. Any suggestions will be appriciated.

Thank you,
Anton C.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Well, I think you will find that Mercedes build quality surpasses BMW's. I have had server...

Well, I think you will find that Mercedes build quality surpasses BMW's. I have had serveral BMW's and have never had one that didn't have some problems that I was not fond of. Even the '99 M3 Convertible I had was somewhat problematic. As a matter of fact from what I have heard some of the newer MB's can be trouble some also. However most of the cars from the 1960s untill the early 90's were pretty bulletproof, save a few (6.9, 6.3, 280-sometimes). Good luck and may I suggest the 190E - it's a great car!

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
I'm with Strich Acht...

I've only had one BMW, an older five series - but I still get to drive a few (my mechanic has BMWs as loaners). Nice car, drive beautifully, but you really cannot compare the build quality of a BMW and a Mercedes, which is one reason I went straight back to a Mercedes on my next car.

Aside from the build quality I also found the car to be far more expensive on replacement parts.

If you were thinking of a 190, I wouldn't go past a 190D. Bit more difficult to find, but you'll never look back [:)]. The steering feel is a little less positive in a 190 than a beemer, but once you're used to it, you soon realise any corner you would throw at a BMW 3 series you can throw at a 190 with as much, if not more confidence. A 190 has a much more solid feel to it.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
190 E Durability vs BMW

The 190's I have owned (2) were excellent. One is still in the family, the 2.3, and the other a co-worker bought from me, a 2.6, is still giving excellent service. Both '93's have logged well over 110,000 miles. I agree with the Diesel idea however. If you can find a 1987 190 D Turbo or an E 300 Diesel, your economy and durability will double! The 1995 E 300 Diesel is one of the best all round Mercedes-Benz built in the last 10 years. Good luck and welcome to the family!
[:D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.