Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'85 500SEL -- Gandalf, the Anthracite
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a 300TD. I'm in no hurry to buy, in fact, it will probably be after the first of the year before I start looking more than casually. Holidays are fun but they do take up time and money.

Can someone measure the rear cargo area of a 300TD for me? I am interested in two things:

1. The width between the spare tire and the other side of the car.
2. The depth between the rear hatch and the wheel well.

When I am travelling with my dogs, they ride in crates in the back and I'm trying to see if I have room for my existing setup in the TD.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
It's about 46" wide at the back.
I don't quite understand the 2nd question, but if you have the cargo cover/net partition you wouldn't need the crates.
The net works with the seats up or folded flat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the update. The two crates I use for the dogs are 21 inches by 26 inches. So if there is more than 42 inches width, they will fit side by side if I have enough length without hitting the wheel well.

The cargo cover/net wouldn't work in my case because there would be other stuff back there which would go sliding around in case of a panic stop. Also, my girls would go right through the net. Heck, they moved a 400lb chain link run 6 feet. That's why I keep them crated when travelling.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1300362-official-interior-volume-measurements.html

WAGON

Steering wheel - driver's seat backrest: 482mm/19.1in

Seat height, front: 975mm/38.4in

Driver's backrest - rear seat backrest: 681mm/24.1in

Seat height, rear: 952mm/37.5in

Width at shoulder height, front: 1422mm/56.0in

Overall seat width, front: 1476mm/58.1in

Width at shoulder height, rear: 1410mm/55.5in

Overall seat width, rear: 1480mm/58.3in

Width, load space rear: 960-1480mm/37.8-58.3in

Length, load space: 1232mm/48.5in
Length, load space with rear seats folded fwd: 1784mm/70.2in

Height, load space floor from road surface: 535mm/21.1in

Height, load space floor to roof: 800mm/31.5

Height, open rear door above ground: 1942mm/76.5in

Volume, load space with rear seats folded fwd: 879L/31.04 cu. ft.
With rear seats in normal position: 523L/18.47 cu. ft.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've put a good sized kennel in the back before, with seats up. Still have room for a enough bags for four folks over a two or three night trip. Not sure of the exact dimensions of the kennel, but close to 3'x4' ish.

Loads like that sure make the SLS a valueable feature.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wagon Dimensions

Thanks, MBeige. I saw that post while searching the forums. I probably should have said that in my original post. I'm a newbie; forgive me. Unfortunately, the post didn't answer my question.

The dimensions it gives for the cargo area of the wagon are ambiguous for the purpose that I am looking at. For example the table says:

Width, load space, rear: 960-1480mm/37.8-58.3in

I can assume that the 37.8 inches is in between the wheel wells which means that that area is too narrow for my application. The 58.3in is fine but where was it measured?

Likewise, the overall length of the cargo area, seats up is stated as 48.5 in but the dimension from the rear hatch to the beginning of the wheel well is not given. If that dimension is less than 26inches then the wagon won't work for me; or, at least, won't work with my current setup.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
As someone who carries dogs in their 300TD for a living, I can be an authority on this subject.

They won't fit side by side anywhere in the back. I just went out and measured to be sure. It's roughly 37" between the wheel wells and although the width works in the far back, the length gets in the way of the wheel wells. Some of my smaller furry troopers who like to pee on things get banished into the crates. I use plastic ones with a lockable front like you can see in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Benzoid123

I appreciate the information although I had hoped that the answer would be different. I have a pair of Kennelaire slant front crates that just barely squeeze between the wheel wells of my current K9 Limo. I had hopes that they would fit in a 300TD as well but 37inches is just too narrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
-1985 300d (champagne/palomino 133k) -1979 300d (dead parts car)
128 Posts
It's about 46" wide at the back.
I don't quite understand the 2nd question, but if you have the cargo cover/net partition you wouldn't need the crates.
The net works with the seats up or folded flat.

that's a lot of booze! where's the party? :)

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
that's a lot of booze! where's the party? :)
Just the monthly empties return, net keeps them from bouncing off my head in case of emergency braking.;):rolleyes::)

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
They'll still fit inside the back, just not as efficiently as side by side. Certainly not a deal breaker!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts