Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I had a question about the rear windows. I noticed that they one-touch express down but not up. Is that normal? Are there one-touch buttons sold so that I can modify them to go up at one touch? My fronts are one-touch both ways.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
No, mine are like that as well. The express feature is not implemented in the
button alone. Far more sophisticated than that.
You may also notice, that when the front windows goes up, you cannot raise the back
ones at the same time.

I think both behaviors, stem from the thought, that in the irregularity of movement
of the back window (first up in front of the glass, then up all over), would create
potential hazards together with the front one, of getting something stuck in between
the two.

The front express, is implemented by closely looking at the speed of the window motor.
Read this thread;
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1328527-electric-windows-only-go-up-stages-2.html#post2716221
where I refer to this article;
https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/StarTuned/pdfs/BreathDec07ST.pdf

Implementing the same on the back will be difficult because of the irregular movement,
causing a relatively irregular speed on the motor. Remember also, that it is the
back window, thats moving sideways towards the front, not vice versa, so the hazard is
in the back windows movement.

Thus not implemented.

br,
syljua

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
The express up feature on rear side windows for coupes AND cabriolets is not implemented mainly for safety reasons.

As explained by syljua, having the front and rear windows switched at the same time on the express up mode can cause something to jam between them or in a lesser scene, cause them not to align properly to shut properly.

There is no way to gain the express up feature just by changing the window button. You will have to change or reprogram the comfort feature module, which is almost an impossible task to accomplish without incurring on outrageous expenses ($$$).

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
You may also notice, that when the front windows goes up, you cannot raise the back
ones at the same time.
I have to modify this statement a little. They can go up at the same time, but only if
the front button is held in the normal position one state (not the express state).
Thats still rimes in the same train of thought about safety, that then you have
control on them. This is also the same when you do close them, by pressing
the remote close button outside of car.

br,
syljua

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
The same safety reasoning applies when adjusting the electric seat. You may have noticed that to recall any memory position on the seats you have to press and hold the switch until the desired position is finally set.

The sunroof on W140s was also not fitted with an express open/close feature for safety reasons. This philosophy was later altered on newer models, mostly with a one touch express open and a two touch express close feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts