Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found an '81 380SL that's in very good condition other than a blown transmission. Everything else on the car works as it should, and it's in great shape cosmetically.<br> <br> My question is: Is the transmission on these cars something I can rebuild, or do I need to have it done or get a new one?<br> <br> I've succesfully rebuilt motors and trannies from American cars, so I'm reasonably capable mechanically. On the other hand, if you don't advise it, do you have any sources for these things? What kind of price range do they run?<br> <br> The dealer is only asking $5K for this car, and I'm pretty serious about it at that price. And I'm assuming that this is a good price.<br> <br> Any help at all would be appreciated.<br> <br> Thanks in Advance,<br> Wendell

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There aren't many mechanics around that would tackle a rebuild on these transmissions. We have rebuilt units ready to go for $1395. I would recommend either going that route or looking for a good used one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Brings Up Another Question

So if I go for a rebuilt/used one, the only question remains:<br> <br> What years and models of cars can I take one out of for this one? I assume this transmission isn't unique to this car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wendell, I believe the 1,395. 00 usually covers a core exchange for a 'like kind unit'!<br> Too bad Ron's german star link is NG!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 380 Another Question

Wandell,<br> <br> The 500 SL carries the same 4-speeder box. There is something worth knowing about the 380 regarding the timing chain:- 'The V8s 380SL/SLC 1981/1983 with engine number 116.96 up to model year 1983 were fitted with simplex chain and must be replaced with the duplex chain together with all sprockets in case of repair. The left-hand cylinder head must be removed for this purpose'<br> <br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts