Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow benz owners. I currently drive a clk320 w209 model. My parents are thinking about purchasing an slk. Whether that is the 280 or the 350 model is up to them. However, I have told them that the 350 model would be a bit better because of the larger engine. What do you guys think about it?

BTW I am not sure because I personally have not sat in either car, but they said the 350 model did not have power seating or memory seating. They said that they manually have to move the seats, yet the 280 had it. Was it a package or something different?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Definitely go with the 350 or SLK55 if your budget allows. You won't regret the extra "zip" in power.

350 definitely has power seats and memory function. When I bought my car, both options were part of the "comfort" package. The SLK your parents looked at may have been optioned out with a package that included those options.

Best thing to do is to "Build your SLK" on the MB Web site. It will give you a better feel for the items that are standard as well as options. The other thing you should definitely do is take one for a test ride. WARNING: Bring your checkbook. Once you drive an SLK, you'll want to own one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My experience with the 350 is all positive. The extra kw of the engine is only half the story because this engine is a ripper. It has torque everywhere and with the 7 speed auto is pure silk. Even the economy has been impressive - on the open road this car is actually more economical than my Mazda MX-5. I could not recommend "the extra half a litre" highly enough.

I agree with NewMB - it is a great idea to build the car on the web because then you can see exactly which options come with it.

I wish them as much enjoyment as my car has given me. Happy days!

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi nightrider,

my words, definitely the 350 and he has sure power seats and memory function.
with a few updates and mods you can make him look like the 55 AMG.

your parents will love this car, here a picture from mine:

CHROMETEC.

ciao

pat

·
Registered
216 Posts
It will change with your location but in the UK the 280 doesn't have electric seats as standard but the 350 does; the price jump from the 280 to the 350 is £4k and for that not only do you get the sweet engine but you also get 17" wheels (280 has 16" and the 17's are a £545 option) and:

Driver and passenger seat, steering column and exterior mirror - electrically adjustable with memory (£1045 option on 280)

And the full interior lighting package (£110 option on 280)

I can highly recommend the 350 it is superb to drive and love the power and you could look as it only costing £2k more for the engine :)

Which ever one you go for sure you will love it...enjoy!

As said previously above go to the MB site and check out the standard options and build your own one!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think a fully loaded 350 is better than the 280, because you get some of the options standard and now its even a bigger engine whilst the 280SLK is still on 245hp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the quick replies guys. I will definitely let my parents know about what you guys think as well as further my research on the packages for the slk. I am sure my parents will love the car. I am pushing for the 350 as well. Also hoping to be able to drive the 350 if they choose to let me...hehe. I think the extra zip is a must. I feel that my current clk320 does not have enough power to it. but no complaints from that car...
I only wish it was as lively as the slk portion of the forum :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
thanks for the quick replies guys. I will definitely let my parents know about what you guys think as well as further my research on the packages for the slk. I am sure my parents will love the car. I am pushing for the 350 as well. Also hoping to be able to drive the 350 if they choose to let me...hehe. I think the extra zip is a must. I feel that my current clk320 does not have enough power to it. but no complaints from that car...
I only wish it was as lively as the slk portion of the forum :thumbsup:
Your CLK has 215/220hp but if you get a 280SLK I dont think the change in 35hp might be that noticeable as it lacks in torque in comparison to the 3.2L V6 you got in the SLK, trust me on this I had a ML320 which has the same engine as your CLK and a SLK280 and felt that the SLK has to be revved more violently to get it to reach its optimum level whilst the ML has more low end rpm torque available.

I drove the SLK359 lately and I was really impressed with the throttle response, its quiet a fast car considering it only has 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mohammed, "only 6 cylinders"? Don´t forget the Porsche sportcars, only 6 cylinders, too...;)

I would go for a 280. In a country without the Autobahn, 231HP are more than enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In considering the 280 vs. the 350, it's good to first define what use the owner will put to the car. The 350 is faster, with manufactur's claim of 0 to 60 in 5.5 sec. and some road tests putting it in the high 4s. The 350 is a true sports car (and especially considering that the '09 will have over 300 hp.) But the W rated, low profile 17" tires give a rougher ride the V rated higher profile 16" tires on the 280. We found the 280 to give a remarkably smooth ride. It is manufacturer's rated at 0 to 60 in 6.1 sec., but I have stopwatched it at 5.5 sec. Not exactly to be "put out with the cat". As we already had a true sports car (Honda S 2000 with some mods), we actually wanted a small GT car, and selected the 280 in this criteria. My 94 year old father finds that the 280 has a smoother ride than our C 320 lux model.

So in considering the 280 vs. the 350 you have to ask "do I want a GT car or a sports car?"

·
Registered
216 Posts
So in considering the 280 vs. the 350 you have to ask "do I want a GT car or a sports car?"
I know the ride will be better than my 350 and there are some that would definately disagree, but I really find the comfort of the seats prohibits mine as being classed as a GT; it is most definately Sports car.......now if only they could have added some more padding to the seats and added lumbar support (Which they have now but wasn't available when I bought the car) :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally, I think my parents would want a the car for the GT purposes. I don't think my dad is the type of person to speed a whole lot. However, I WOULD love it if my parents buy the 350 model simply because of the reason that they have power when they need it. Neither parent complained about the harsh ride of the 350 compared to the 280. I will ask them if they noticed a difference. If not, then I will stand by and push for a 350 model.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Both cars are great, be it 280 or 350. No matter how small of an engine it is you will have fun with the top down and enjoying the moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would like to make an additional comment to the OP on this thread. If you are considering an '09 model (supposedly available this spring), there are other factors to consider between the 280 and 350. From the advaance information I've been able to find, the main functional change in the 280 will be significantly increased fuel efficiency. For the 350, and increase to over 300 hp is the big news. And of course, nobody has any idea as to suspension changes that would effect ride.

One other factor about all '09s I've seen pictured are the changes in the lower front chin. While there are differences between 280, 350, and AMG, all pictures I've seen show a blacked-out area in the center of this front chin piece. While final opinion must be reserved for a time when I can see the cars "in person", the pictures look like proof car car designing and drinking do not mix!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mohammed:

Interesting you should mention the V6 SLKs sounding like a vacuum cleaner. One of the first things I noticed about our '07 SLK 280 when we got it new last November was the exhaust note. No, it doesn't sound exactly like a V8. But somehow the exhaust is tuned so that it has more of that low-pitched, V8-like "burble" than any other V6 I have driven.

Like you, I feel that nothing sounds as good as a V8. But as V6s go, my SLK 280 comes closer than any other V6 car I've experienced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned a slk280 and now own a c209.... maan I really miss the SLK. It was a fun and enjoyable car. However the facelifted SLK350 has really been tweeked. That will be my next car more tehn likely .

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mohammed:

Interesting you should mention the V6 SLKs sounding like a vacuum cleaner. One of the first things I noticed about our '07 SLK 280 when we got it new last November was the exhaust note. No, it doesn't sound exactly like a V8. But somehow the exhaust is tuned so that it has more of that low-pitched, V8-like "burble" than any other V6 I have driven.

Like you, I feel that nothing sounds as good as a V8. But as V6s go, my SLK 280 comes closer than any other V6 car I've experienced.
That comment was specific to the inline-6 on the porsche and not the V6 found in the SLK's, I find the 6cylinder slk's to sound very good and deep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts