Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody out there ?

2003 ML55 that I have had for about six months. Great condition with low miles but a few niggling details still need figuring out.

Currently working on headlights. I have all of them functioning properly except one feature. The main headlights have three bulbs each side.

Running lights/Turn signals...AMBER light to outside of housing.
Next is xenon bulb for both high and low beam.
Next is H7 which I believe is for just high beam.

Lastly, in the bumper itself are two separate fog lights

I have all of them functioning EXCEPT the H7 bulb that takes up the majority of the housing. Took out both bulbs and tested and they are fine, but I am missing something. How do you activate these H7's ?

I checked all the fuses related to lighting..both under hood and passenger footwell..all seem fine .

As much as I love the W163's and the ML55..this sucker is way over-engineered (in my opinion). Perfect example is the left stalk for headlights. Overly complicated and confusing. And two fuseboxes..better take a flashlight with you in the passenger footwell !

I much prefer the simplicity of the early ML320/430's. I guess that means BF (before facelift) and more complexity!!
4%EzlUJTTe2bAijKleWqhQ.jpg
Qd+xDcG+QV+z9nNctPonSw.jpg
6kQCnLQYSHmNnupobWu53Q.jpg

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,187 Posts
High beam H7 comes on only when HID is off. It is flash to pass feature.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,106 Posts
On My ML500 the H7 bulbs are for 'Flash to Pass' when the Xenon lights are off. They do nothing when the Xenon lights are on (except if they are modified to work with the Xenon bulbs).

DIY thread collection

See Post #18

Mike

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,695 Posts
On My ML500 the H7 bulbs are for 'Flash to Pass' when the Xenon lights are off. They do nothing when the Xenon lights are on (except if they are modified to work with the Xenon bulbs).

DIY thread collection

See Post #18

Mike
With xenon DRLs (required up here), the H7s will come on only with 'flash to pass' AND if the xenon is out, the H7 will activate on (to replace the damaged xenon DRL) but only in manual ON mode.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man you guys are GREAT !!

Didn't have to lift another finger (except to pop a brewski ! ) and the lights operate just as you described. I thought I had scanned the owners manual pretty good, but I missed that distinction . Earlier today I had visited an Atlanta dealer and they had no idea how those lights activated. Guess I should have asked for their most senior technician !!

Thanks again !!

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just verified all my lighting options and its nice to know how/when/where/why to use the different choices.

I'm sure everyone knew this but a retail space on the market is a good place to check all your lights ,both front and back ! Try to pick one not occupied (pretty easy these days!) so you won't get some funny looks !!
IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2944.JPG
BdSBzj9wQRa8u%Rei2x1EQ.jpg
xp4YLBcGRUi89OSEn1zqqw.jpg
ktWWGMycTAK%uyo4eNpswQ.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That last one is of the new Lexus LC500....that puppy is cranking out over 470 horsepower !!
Haven't seen many of them in the Atlanta area, but I need to steer clear of showrooms ..a cool 100 grand !!

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So.....question for the members.

I believe the 2003 ML55 has a gas tank capacity of 25 gallons, but some sources state 24.5.
The gauge is still a little problematic and I'm currently keeping track of level with charting gas pump quantities.
Not much fun, but I don't think I'll run out of gas! Wondering if someone has a definitive capacity.....

Also, have heard the 55 actually has TWO gas tanks and an E-bay listing does seem to point to that arrangement.
Not exactly sure how that works, but I guess they had to design it that way to get a decent capacity for a long drive.

FYI...currently, I am averaging about 15mpg, that ain't to bad for this engine and weight of vehicle. My 99 ML430 averages about 19mpg. Of course in the 55, I run the high-test but the 430 does just fine on the mid grade....

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,695 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts