Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have this crap tape deck removed. Would there be a problem changing out the head unit? it's a Bose system, and I want to put in an Alpine CD or DVD deck in it.

Or do I have to gut everything out at once... Which I'll end up putting All JL anyway, just curious if I need to do everything at once or piece it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's easy to change out a head unit. All you need to remember is to buy a new head unit ...

It's easy to change out a head unit. All you need to remember is to buy a new head unit that has a built in amp or put in a seperate amplifier.

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
8 Posts
To my knowledge, there is a separate amp for the stereo. Also, the CD changer has a Mercedes specific adapter. From my experience, its best to scrap the enitre system and build from scratch.

·
Registered
CLK 430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I'll be sure to ask about the amp. But it'll look like I'll scrap the whole system.

·
Registered
99 Clk 430 Lorinsor springs 19" Oz Opera/ 00 ML 320 19" Moda R6
152 Posts
why>???????

I am also planning to change out my head unit for a nicer one but I dont understand why you need to change or add an amp? can someone shed some light on this for me

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
8 Posts
Depends on your objective

As you know, factory systems are average at best. Replacing parts of the system may not yield the desired result. From my experience, here's what each piece really does:

Head Unit: Adds CD,MD etc. Can also enhance sound displacement (bass,mid,treble). However, due to factory speakers frequency limits, you'll probably not hear the improved sound quality. Also, if the new head unit has a built in amp, you'll want to bypass the external factory amp. This means wiring changes.

Amplifier: Increase sound volume and reduce distortion (depending on watts). Current factory amp is 210 watts.

Speakers: Improve sound quality (high's and low's). Reduce muffled sound.

If you're considering changing out parts of the system, I suggest visiting a quality car stereo dealer. They can really give advice that will make the end result much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts