Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 S55, 2004 SL55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have the same display that shows average mileage "after start". My car does something that I think is strange. When I start it in the morning with the engine cooled off, the display shows an average of about 2 mpg for the first 4 miles. That's for easy driving in moderate temperatures. If I hit the reset button after about the first half mile, the display shows a more realistic number. I know the car is not taking 2 gallons of fuel to go 4 miles, in spite of what the dispay says. The dealer (no surprise here) says it is normal. Anyone notice anything similar? FWIW, I can get about 21 at freeway speeds. 65 or 80 is about the same. I'm happy with the mileage and it is a lot better than I would of expected considering the perfomance of the car. I am close to going out of warranty and would like to know if it is right or wrong.

·
Registered
07 Escalade ESV
63 Posts
Alot of that is computerized. First off when you first start the car, the O2s are heating up and it doesnt really have a true reading of A/F and its going on programmed reading. so it shows the wrong info in that screen since alot of it is based on the vacuum reading like the old benzes had that needle that would show your mpg. This one is a bit more accurate then the older ones in that its taking a bit of math in play computerized info.

Dixit

·
Premium Member
2003 S55, 2004 SL55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's fine and I think the car is doing just fine. But I wanted to know if your display reads the same way. Next time you start it, please watch the dispaly for the first few miles and let me know what it says. Thanks!

·
Registered
07 Escalade ESV
63 Posts
Will do, I can tell you on my S600 while driving I saw the range swing from 400miles to 300miles and back to 400miles in 5mins. This was on the hwy, all I did was go from 80 to 65 back to 80. I thought it was odd to see that much of a swing, especially since the "man" seems to believe that 55mph is the best fuel efficieny speed.

Dixit

·
Registered
2006 S55 renntech stage 4
38 Posts
It is normal with mine also. As are the major changes in information related to speed. When they are cold they tend to act "not normal" due to being cold ect ect... Mine also has the same shifting hard issue when cold my C230 has.

·
Premium Member
2003 S55, 2004 SL55
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I appreciate the input. You know that the ECM has to know what is really happening or it would never get by the EPA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts