Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1989 SEL 5.6 L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, my 89 SEL takes about a minute to reach 40 miles/hour with my foot stamped on the accelerator. The car except for the very slow acceleration runs pretty well, gear shift normally, etc. I hear a very high whine from the back. it's on and off.

I just replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pumps. My mecanic told me that the fuel hoses are not the cause.

What could be the cause of this? suggestions?

Many thanks. It is my first Mercedes. Bought in May and had been running fine till then.

· Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,040 Posts
OK I am not experiencing that problem, but lets just say that this is the problem, a plugged catlytic converter. Do we really replace the cat, retrofit a pipe to fill the void or what. Pardon my stupidity on the subject, I just would not have any clue in that case. 22 year old car is bound to have this happen so need to budget. In the old days, as a kid I just drilled a hole in my 76 camaro (POS BTW) CAT and drained it out lol. Pre smog check.

· Registered
1989 560SEL, 1988 300SEL, 1979 Toyota Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,547 Posts
Let the engine idle in park for about 10 minutes while pressing the gas pedal now and then, open hood to see if exhaust manifolds are glowing red hot, if they are then the cats or exhaust system is clogged and I would do this during the evening.

I bought a 86 420SEL before I got the 560, the 420 had no power and it took forever just to exceed 45mph on the way home from Knoxville, when I pulled over to check to see why I saw both exhaust manifolds glowing very brightly and they were red hot. I was amazed the car had not caught fire in the 15 or so miles I drove it. Had to dolly it the rest of the way home but it was a parts car anyway.

· Registered
3,792 Posts
OK I am not experiencing that problem, but lets just say that this is the problem, a plugged catlytic converter. Do we really replace the cat, retrofit a pipe to fill the void or what. Pardon my stupidity on the subject, I just would not have any clue in that case. 22 year old car is bound to have this happen so need to budget. In the old days, as a kid I just drilled a hole in my 76 camaro (POS BTW) CAT and drained it out lol. Pre smog check.
In the US it is technically illegal for a car that came with a CAT to not have one.... But many do it. You can replace it with an aftermarket cat, none of which will last as long as stock but the price reflects that, or you can replace it with a section of pipe if you don't have any sort of inspections. If you're really cheap and/or lazy, I've heard of people "venting" clogged cats by just drilling holes in them, but I would imagine there would be a lot of smell in the cabin from that.

· Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,864 Posts
if the culprit is in fact the catcon, do you guys know any good web site from where I could buy a decent one? I live in Canada
Be sure to sell your old catcon to try and recoupe costs for new if possible. I dont know how it works in Canada, but here you can sell to places like sellyourcatsdirect.com for what I feel are decent prices.

· Registered
anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
439 Posts
what else but what you touched ?

Hi, my 89 SEL takes about a minute to reach 40 miles/hour with my foot stamped on the accelerator. The car except for the very slow acceleration runs pretty well, gear shift normally, etc. I hear a very high whine from the back. it's on and off.

I just replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pumps. My mecanic told me that the fuel hoses are not the cause.

What could be the cause of this? suggestions?

Many thanks. It is my first Mercedes. Bought in May and had been running fine till then.
My guess: wrong fuel pump or bought a defective one ?
Maybe the filter wrong ?

· Registered
1989 SEL 5.6 L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turns out the cause was a faulty linkage to the engine throttle. no or bad communication between the accelerator and the engine.

mecanic just replaced the faulty linkage.

the car's performance is now back to normal

· Registered
anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
439 Posts
Check ?

turns out the cause was a faulty linkage to the engine throttle. no or bad communication between the accelerator and the engine.
:surrender:when responding to a problem like yours, there may be an implied due diligence on the posters part to check the bare essentials such as the mechanical requirements (the linkage would be the very minimum ? :confused:).
Otherwise we would be having a thread 100 posts long about each and every single detailed part that would allow a car to accelerate normally.
Thanks for at least posting the outcome.
That got you a few bonus points back.... :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.