Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I musta done something bad or something lately, i keep running into more problems over an over. I was looking at the spring perch and noticed some crap around something on the tranny. Like a speed sensor or something its electronic, it has a harness coming out. Anyhow theres a buch of goopy crap around it. It appears like some kind of sealant, but i notices like one drop of fluid coming out of it. Im hoping that i can replace what ever the sensor is, and it will seal what ever is the problem, but the question is vague i supposed, but if anyone knows anything would be appreciated. I do like to do all of my work, i want to do the tranny fluid, since i have no idea how low it is, but my dealer here sucks, wont sell me the damn dip stick. So i have to order one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I musta done something bad or something lately, i keep running into more problems over an over. I was looking at the spring perch and noticed some crap around something on the tranny. Like a speed sensor or something its electronic, it has a harness coming out. Anyhow theres a buch of goopy crap around it. It appears like some kind of sealant, but i notices like one drop of fluid coming out of it. Im hoping that i can replace what ever the sensor is, and it will seal what ever is the problem, but the question is vague i supposed, but if anyone knows anything would be appreciated. I do like to do all of my work, i want to do the tranny fluid, since i have no idea how low it is, but my dealer here sucks, wont sell me the damn dip stick. So i have to order one.

Thanks
Yes, do a search, I have read that a seal in the transmission for the electrical circuit leaks. I understand that transmission fluid can backup thru the loom and flood the electronic controller. look in W210 & W211.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Get the

parts
140 270 02 50 - Connector Plug - MSRP $13.50
026 997 41 48 - Seal ring - MSRP $2.20
026 997 40 48 - Seal ring - MSRP $2.00
go to our forum members site
EverythingBenz - Mercedes-Benz Forum and Web Search Using Google and search 722.6 leak you will find the easy diy.
clean off all the crap that someone put on it to try to stop the leak.Do it when you do the trans fluid.I have the 722.6 dip stick for$40 delivered lower 48.
Fluid at autohausaz.com along with filter and cap etc. or fastlane through mercedesshop.com
have fun.
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, so you are selling the dipstick yourself? if so how do i pay? thanks again, ill be ordering parts in the morn. And also talking to the dealer and see if i can somehow get them to do the spring perches, the driver side is going bad also. Hope i can get them to do it free. Otherwise i guess ill call an autobody and see what they wanna charge. Thanks again

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Oh

you're the unfortunate poster with the spring perch that tore out:eek:
Get that taken care of by trying the things I suggested and then fix the pesky leak,that is a minor issue compared to the perch issue:)
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i will get the perch done as soon as i find a place that will do it, i still want to have the stuff on hand to do the transmission too. That way when i get it done with the perch issue, then im going to do the tranny. Although i know its going to suck, i dont have a lift. Any recomendations on either ramps or jack stands? I dont have either, last place i lived i had a lift, so i never needed either. I was under the car earlier and checking the perches again, and didnt see a good place to put stands, was leaning more twords the ramps. But either way... thanks

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Stands under the jacking pads

or rhino ramps from walmart or Ace hardware.Some indie shops will go very fair if you supply the fluid and parts and they quote the labor if you can't find a lift to use.
Hope it works out on the spring mounts.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
parts
140 270 02 50 - Connector Plug - MSRP $13.50
026 997 41 48 - Seal ring - MSRP $2.20
026 997 40 48 - Seal ring - MSRP $2.00
go to our forum members site
EverythingBenz - Mercedes-Benz Forum and Web Search Using Google and search 722.6 leak you will find the easy diy.
clean off all the crap that someone put on it to try to stop the leak.Do it when you do the trans fluid.I have the 722.6 dip stick for$40 delivered lower 48.
Fluid at autohausaz.com along with filter and cap etc. or fastlane through mercedesshop.com
have fun.
:bowdown:eek:hlord
Sealing rings come with the plug don't they? At least they used to.

Len

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well i talked to the dealer about the spring perch issue. They said to bring it in and they would submit a claim to MB to see if they would pay it. I guess i could do that, but it would cost me a ton to have it towed 90 miles. I dont think i want to drive it that far. And the problem then is, if they wont pay for it, i sure as hell dont want to pay dealer price to get them fixed

Edit: forgot my question was, has anyone had like issues with dealers submitting claims, if theres just no way MB is going to pay the claim im not going to waste my money towing it 180 miles...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
You need to do a search, as there is not just one answer to the question. I've heard reports from within the US of people getting them repaired by M-B, and other reports where M-B basically told them to get screwed.

If the report is from Canada, it doesn't apply. I think they got a recall, the lucky bastards.

·
Registered
35,770 Posts
MB USA paid for my fuel pump even I did the repair myself.
You can start the claim with them by calling their toll free number. Have it repair locally and hold onto the bill. If MB will approve the claim, they will give you money back.
Wouldn't 180 miles towing cost much more, than the repair?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i dont know, i would assume that 180 miles of towing is expensive, ive never towed anything further then like an in town shop. But i guess if someone knows what is involved in fixing it, and how much a ballpark figure is on the repairs, that would help me alot. I talked to one shop that said the wanted 2500 to fix the one thats hosed, and look at the other 3. I laughed at the guy.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from the local body shop. And basicly they said its going to cost a fortune to fix it. They only looked at one spring perch and just to fix that one, they said i was looking at about 2500, and the other front one needs to be replaced also. So Im not sure what to do here. The appron assemble is what they called it, was so rusted that you cant even put a new spring perch on it. There is no way i can put 5 grand into this problem. So Im down to the mercy of the dealership eating the cost, or calling MB corperate, and finding out if they will pay the claim. Im open for any ideas anyone has here. Besides this and the leaking tranny electronics, witch is a nice and cheap the car is great. Ive had a few mechanics tell me that.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I don't think that M-B is going to be happy about paying for rust repair beyond replacing the perch itself. While the spring perch often separates due to a design and construction flaw, rust on the underlying metal is not, and is pretty much the same problem as your driver's seat falling through the floor.

Now, I'm not trying to scare you here. Look at both sides to determine if the rust is as bad on each. Probably, one side only needs the perch itself, which will greatly reduce the repair bill.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Rust

is the design and construction flaw.Get to the dealer armed with those links I noted for you and lay it on the line,see what they will do.Body shop is trying to rip you off.The dealer will have someone they out source this job to.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I go into the stealership tomarrow at 9am, so ill let everybody know. When i talked to the advisor today, he said hes never heard of this being a problem on these cars. So he told me he didnt think it would be covered by MBUSA. But we will see i guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I go into the stealership tomarrow at 9am, so ill let everybody know. When i talked to the advisor today, he said hes never heard of this being a problem on these cars. So he told me he didnt think it would be covered by MBUSA. But we will see i guess.
This is an unbelievable problem, I cant believe there have been no recalls? Are they waiting for someone to get killed before they take care of it? A 10 or 11 year old car must not suffer from this sort of catastrophic failure, where is the outrage folks? I am new here but would imagine all E class owners from the affected years could band together and file a united complaint to NHTSA or whoever are the powers that be. Maybe its been done, but why no recall? If Canada got a recall.... why not the US? same maker, same car, same model, same problem.

E owners should be making a big stink about this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts