Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I had some issues with the car. I purchased just last year. I did the plugs myself. I flushed the trans myself. It was a slow process and I broke the dipstick tip off in the tube. It took awhile to get the fluid correct with the tip broken off in the tube. Prior to changing the fluid I had hit the gas hard once on the road and the check engine light came on. The code was for misfire (old plugs) and trans code. I did not have a Star reader so I only knew it was a trans code. After fluid change I don't have engine light anymore. The fluid was black when I changed it. So the car still shifts hard into gear sometimes. Also it seems to shift late sometimes. I notice sometimes it lingers in a lower gear for just a bit. It is not really bad but I notice it.
I want to mention that I was able to replace one motor mount and the trans mount. I still have to do the other. I say this because as for the hard shifting I wonder sometimes if it is the bad motor mount that I feel. Anyway I am wondering if the trans is damaged. It was shifting hard long before I ever changed the fluid. It seemed to improve after. There were no shavings in the pan when I changed the gasket and filter. But I do not know if the car has a magnet in there. There was not one in the pan itself. So possibly there are shavings on the magnet if there is one.
I could use some feedback on what the problem might be. I have seen some information about the modules within the trans on the conductor plate or the plate itself. The engine does not give a code anymore though. It has not for several months now.

W163 and General M Gremlin
John,
I dont believe anything is damaged.
You seemed to be on the ball with your DIY. :)

What you additionally do is search for the multiple threads on this topic and read thru them.
Search google ======> w202 c280 hard shifiting sometimes site:benzworld.org

Here's one example of many: ;)

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #3
John,
I dont believe anything is damaged.
You seemed to be on the ball with your DIY. :)

What you additionally do is search for the multiple threads on this topic and read thru them.
Search google ======> w202 c280 hard shifiting sometimes site:benzworld.org

Here's one example of many: ;)
Ok thank you. Gives me a good place to start.

W163 and General M Gremlin
Ok thank you. Gives me a good place to start.
Keep us posted. Members are here to assist.
btw, I believe you have a 722.6 tranny? Correct me if wrong.

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
722.606 is what the book says. I purposefully overfilled my trans by 1/2 inch on the new dipstick. The reason is the old dipstick tip is inside the tube. I put the dipstick tip inside of a vinyl tube approximately the same size of the trans fill tube. I filled with water and then put in just the tip to see how high it raised the fluid level. It raised it about a half inch. Hopefully this is ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts