Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #1
My 202 seemed to have a tire pull when turning slow to park. I replaced tie rod ends and got an alignment. I backed out of the spot and after alignment and it pulled again. Today I accelerated out of a stop into a turn and it did it again. It is on the passenger side front tire area. It feels like something is extending then going back to normal. The shop looked at things when they did alignment. I could use some information about what I might check or what might be the problem.

W163 and General Mercedes Gremlin
Can you explain what you mean by "tire pull"?

Have you looked into your steering fluid condition and levels?

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #3
I have not. But will. It feels as if the tire is pulling away from the car during a slow turn. Or a tight turn. Mostly at slow speed. Like it pulls away then comes back. Like if there were a rut in the road. Tire got into rut and was forced into a direction other than normal. Outward and away from car. Like a dislocated shoulder. It dislocates.

My 202 seemed to have a tire pull when turning slow to park. I replaced tie rod ends and got an alignment. I backed out of the spot and after alignment and it pulled again. Today I accelerated out of a stop into a turn and it did it again. It is on the passenger side front tire area. It feels like something is extending then going back to normal. The shop looked at things when they did alignment. I could use some information about what I might check or what might be the problem.
Exactly what did the shop indie do??
Did they take it for a test drive to "experience" what you experienced?

No issue with normal driving?

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I assumed first that it was a tie rod issue so I changed. Then assumed it was alignment so had that done. But when backing out from alignment shop it did it. I went back in and told them. They said they gave it all clear but came out to look at it again while I backed out. Said they would not have cleared it if they saw anything. Did not act up as bad when they watched. They did not know.
The cradle perch will eventually go. It had a small seam near the bottom front weld. Could be that it is moving and therfore missed inspection.
Car is splashy and drifts during drive. This after alignment. Mostly big shift I feel happens in slow turns from still.

Spring perches were a major issue with w210s, depending on your region (high salt use areas).
It could be this perch issue you mentioned. Get front end it up on jacks and start pulling and pushing the tire for any excess movement, then remove the DS tire and do an inspection of the suspension, upper and lower CAs

Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
Inspect the lower ball joint and the lower wishbone bushes. To do this thoroughly the arm needs to be slackened, disconnecting it is even better. If you get a noise, a thud or clonk while reversing more than likely the ball joint is badly worn.

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks and I will. I know there is a prob. Lots of rust behind spring perch. You can't see it. But welded some iron over seam and saw just rust. its behind the outer shell proofing

Registered
Had similar with rust starting to eat the top of the perch. Just caught it in time and only needed to have a top plate (crescent shaped) welded to it and the inner wing. Have look at my thread on a '98 C230 Kompressor, there's some photos there.

If the perch is causing the issue, I reckon you'd see it as the perch uprights on each side would have started to detach from the inner wing.

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #10
May I ask if you had any of the pulling or dislocation problem that I described with your spring perch rust? Before fix. Also there is no noise or thuds. Just the pull. Did you weld yourself?

May I ask if you had any of the pulling or dislocation problem that I described with your spring perch rust? Before fix. Also there is no noise or thuds. Just the pull. Did you weld yourself?
John,

Google search - w210 spring perch rust
Plenty of discussion on this known issue to read about.

w202 - Spring Perch Failure on '99 C230

Registered
1995 C220
My 2 cents, is it is not your spring perch. If it was your spring perch, and it was moving, it is not going to pull itself back into place. In fact, there is enough pressure on the springs that once it goes, its going to be gone. That being said, if you know it is rusty and see signs of it going, get it fixed immediately. Right now you can reinforce it and save it, but once it goes, it will be more involved to get things back where they need to be.

The car needs to be lifted, and all the joints inspected. I'm with Mr Jones, I think it is more likely that the control arm bushings are shot. It could be any number of things, but that is the most likely. Either that or you have a joint binding up, or maybe a wheel bearing seizing, but all that stuff needs to be checked when it is up in the air and you can grab the wheel and look for movement, spin the wheels to check for drag, put a pry bar on stuff and wiggle to see if there is excess play, etc.

Registered
No pulling, no driving issues of any kind as the perch was only starting to rust and the spring location was as it should be. When the perch fails it's common for the suspension to drop down. That's o.k. and no big deal provided it doesn't happen when driving. No, I don't weld but my repair section on the top of the perch took all of five minutes to weld in.

If I was in your shoes I'd probably remove the springs, clean, treat and repair the perches and if they are past repair they are available and inexpensive from aftermarket suppliers.

Do have a look at the suspension as I suggested in my previous post for your current issue.

Registered
2000 c280
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sill have the problem. tie rod ends, shocks, upper control arms, lower ball joints all done. When turning out of a parking space, forward or reverse It feels like the right tire slips. So at slow speed. Like your foot would slip out sideways a little then you pull it back to where it was. It happens that fast. SLIP OUT, BACK IN. Front end has been aligned. It could be the passenger motor mount. But not sure how it would make the tire feel like it slips. Doesn't happen all of the time. But still happens. Friend was in car other day and felt it. Like it slips. Then recovers. Weird.
I apologize. I went back and read previous posts. Yes the lower control arm bushing is shot. I did not think it could cause the movement I am describing but I guess it could. I bought the LCA I just have to change it out.
So maybe it it the LCA bushing causing it? I know for sure it is bad. The rear LCA bushing.

Registered
1995 C220
Lower control arm bushings are under a lot more load than the upper. Knowing it was bad, that鈥檚 probably the first thing I would have replaced. Definitely replace them and see how it drives then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts