Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Thanks for being patient with another newbie question about the roof.

I was at a cruise night for the first time last night and I just left the roof up and walked away from the car with the windows open. I was wondering, is it OK to leave the roof in a halfway opened position for any length of time?

If it closes automatically I wouldn't do it because with my luck, someone would have their arm in the apeture and get it cut off.

There was a few new cars there, lots of older cars, but one thing for sure, I even saw a car like the one Susan Summers drove in that movie, you know, the T Bird, that was my favorite car for many years, I'd still pick mine over that. I'm not kidding ya, there wasn't a classic car there, modified coupe, nothing that I would trade for that beautiful SLK 32.

Every time I turned around to see how it was doing, there was always people around it, checking it out, hands waving telling someone that didn't know how the roof worked. Which brought me to asking you guys about this question.

Fill me in brotha's!

JB

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts
I've left my roof half up (or down) for a few minutes to clean the inside of the rear window and take a picture but as I recall this only works with the engine running. I believe the one time I tried halting the roof cycle with the engine off, it slowly settled down on its own instead of 'sticking' in position.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
There is a balance point.........

where the roof will stay up without the ignition in position 2, and it will stay that way all day if need be.
The problem is that if someone pulls or pushes on the roof it will drop fairly quickly one way or the other. If/when that happens, you will likely be held responsable for any injury or damage caused by someone putting their fingers where they don't belong (read that as kids).

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I read this stuff right, I can leave the motor running and keep the roof in that position without doing any damage to the roof motor, hydraulics or anything else right? And, yes, the smart safe thing to do would be stand guard. If I leave the car, put it up or down.

Cool, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
I heard different. I was told that leaving the roof half-way open puts pressure on the components and can damage them. I leave mine open halfway to clean it, but return it to a normal position a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueBenz - 5/6/2005 4:13 AM

I heard different. I was told that leaving the roof half-way open puts pressure on the components and can damage them. I leave mine open halfway to clean it, but return it to a normal position a.s.a.p.
Ok, I think the best thing to do is...when in doubt, just don't do it.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Why, oh why, I ask myself is the point to leaving your roof mechanism exposed to the elements. The only time I have it halfway is to clean the glass and check/lube the seals so they remain supple. Sure it looks extraordinary to see the car do its thing with the top but leaving it in that position is just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I am out of town and I don't have access to my manual, but I thought I read that to clean the back window you open the roof half way, leaving the ignition switch in position 2 so the hydraulic pump continues to operate (to hold it in that position), but after 7 minutes (?) the car beeps to warn you that the cycle will continue (open or closed) unless you activate the roof switch again for a second to give you another 7 minutes. Someone can check their manual to be sure but that's the way I remember it.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Falcon, you are correct in saying that the car beeps when the roof mechanism is ready to operate again. (at least mine does)

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think the manual mentioned that if you open it half way through, you should only do it in order to clean the window (on the inside). It will stay in this position for 7 minutes, and then finish the 'closing' maneuver.

If you turn off the engine while it's in this position, it might result in the roof slowly falling into position because the hydraulics are no longer being powered.

You can leave the roof in a half way motion with power off if you leave it so that it's in a perfectly upgright position (the C pillars part, that is), kinda like an inverted L.

I'd suggest you leave it completely 'docked' just to be on the safe side, it might not like being left half open for very long, and if a kid places their fingers in there and get 'em chopped off, knowing the stupid cases that have already been taken agains't people, someone will sue YOU for negligence (not for the kids stupidity for touching YOUR car... pfff).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts