Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300se
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the idex manual its says that you need a impact extractor to take out the sliding pin rail. I don't have an extractor can I still take the head off without doing that? And what does it mean when it says to torque a bolt at 90 degrees is that just a quarter of a turn?

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
The reason for the extractor is that the chain runs around the guides which makes it impossible to remove the head without either cutting the chain or by removing the guide rail pins to remove the guides.

Since you will be replacing the guide rails when you put the head back on you might as well go the route of pulling the pins and guides One of these for $30-$40 works just fine:

Mercedes Benz Chain Guide Rail Pin Puller Remover Tool | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
300sel
34 Posts
I used a long m6 bolt screwed into the guide pin. then i tightened a nut to secure the bolt to the pin. make sure there is no movement between the bolt and the pin. If the bolt is loose in the pin, you will need much more force to pull it out. btw, my father and i had the radiator out to perform this. Now, after we had the bolt secured in the pin, we put some more nuts on the other side of the bolt, with washer, on which we could strike either a 5 or 10 pound dumbbell weight, cant remember now. It wasn't working at first, but as soon as we tightened the bolt to the pin with a nut, the pin came right out. Now what i was referring to as the bolt was just an m6 threaded rod that we cut to size, might have been 7", cant remember.

The 90degree turn is exactly as u said, after you tighten to the torque, make sure its the 70something number, not the 50. then you go over each of the bolts in the pattern and turn them 90degrees, or 1/4 turn. then you must do it one more time, following the sequence.

I have a write up on my head rebuild that you should read, i discussed some points that could be helpful to you. Especially the storage of the parts, and taking pictures of the process so you can put all the wires and vacuum lines in their proper place.

Good luck and enjoy, my father and i had alot of fun doing this.

="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1655856-m103-top-end-rebuild-pics-inside.html"

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I am not sure how the 300 engine has the chain going through it but the m117 v8 makes you remove the inside guides to pull the heads. Let me look up the 300 and see if the chain wraps around the guide in that one also.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Fixed your URL:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1655856-m103-top-end-rebuild-pics-inside.html

I used a long m6 bolt screwed into the guide pin. then i tightened a nut to secure the bolt to the pin. make sure there is no movement between the bolt and the pin. If the bolt is loose in the pin, you will need much more force to pull it out. btw, my father and i had the radiator out to perform this. Now, after we had the bolt secured in the pin, we put some more nuts on the other side of the bolt, with washer, on which we could strike either a 5 or 10 pound dumbbell weight, cant remember now. It wasn't working at first, but as soon as we tightened the bolt to the pin with a nut, the pin came right out. Now what i was referring to as the bolt was just an m6 threaded rod that we cut to size, might have been 7", cant remember.

The 90degree turn is exactly as u said, after you tighten to the torque, make sure its the 70something number, not the 50. then you go over each of the bolts in the pattern and turn them 90degrees, or 1/4 turn. then you must do it one more time, following the sequence.

I have a write up on my head rebuild that you should read, i discussed some points that could be helpful to you. Especially the storage of the parts, and taking pictures of the process so you can put all the wires and vacuum lines in their proper place.

Good luck and enjoy, my father and i had alot of fun doing this.

="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1655856-m103-top-end-rebuild-pics-inside.html"

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300se
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on leaving the timing chain on is this possible? I do I need sealent for the head gasket?

·
Registered
300sel
34 Posts
you don;t need to remove the chain, but you need to make sure it does not fall into the oil pan, you can secure it to the hood with a bungee cord. you also need to keep tension on it so that it does not loose position on the crank? shaft gear. if the chain does fall through you will need to remove the front cover off the engine, which will involve removal of some auxiliary equipment.

the sealant is a must. i didn't use the red stuff that came with the elring kit, but purchased the black stuff from a Mercedes dealership. Its supposed to be better according to the forum, but i have no experience with the red stuff so couldn't tell you.

foolio V2, thanks for taking care of the link.

·
Registered
1991 300SE W126 Collector owned, maintained 90k mi
177 Posts
timing chain and H gasket

you don;t need to remove the chain, but you need to make sure it does not fall into the oil pan, you can secure it to the hood with a bungee cord. you also need to keep tension on it so that it does not loose position on the crank? shaft gear. if the chain does fall through you will need to remove the front cover off the engine, which will involve removal of some auxiliary equipment.

the sealant is a must. i didn't use the red stuff that came with the elring kit, but purchased the black stuff from a Mercedes dealership. Its supposed to be better according to the forum, but i have no experience with the red stuff so couldn't tell you.

foolio V2, thanks for taking care of the link.
You can attach the chain to the cam gear with a thin wire or ty wraps in a couple places. There is no sealer used with a head gasket. Also remove the chain tensioner. If you the service CD you will have no problem. Also buy a paint pen to mark the head bolts with a line so you will know which ones you turned during the 90 degree procedure. You should also use new head bolts..they stretch.

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
Ok, so what do you do when you those pins are seized in the head?? Iv got exactly this issue right now...

I'm selling the block, so not worried about the chain, I'm currently trying to remove the front cover from the engine, it seems fixed at the bottom, obviously iv taken the upper sump bolts out, but is the oil pump or something fixed from the inside of the oil pan? I havnt taken the oil pan off and didn't want to..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts