Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a 99 slk 230, with the stock amg rims. for some reason the profile on the front is taller than that of the rear. Given that its not a huge difference, will me putting a 45 series on the rear instead of a 40 series affect anything? I drive on some bad roads occassionally so a little extra tire wouldnt' hurt to have.

thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not at all... im currently running 45's front & rear... Im pretty sure that is stock tire size

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought too. Stock according to the discount tire website is to run a 45 in the front and a 40 in the back. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
The taller, narrower tires in front have the same outside diameter as the wider, shorter tires in the rear.
If you want to run 225/50 x 16's all around that's fine, but the stock tires are staggered, as are the wheels so watch out what you are doing when you get new tires. You want the wider rims in back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know why the front vs. the rears are staggered width wise, but as far as the height of the tires- that was what i was stuck on. i didn't see a reason to have two different height profiles

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
i know why the front vs. the rears are staggered width wise, but as far as the height of the tires- that was what i was stuck on. i didn't see a reason to have two different height profiles
The 40, 45, 50, 55, numbers are the ratio between the tire width and the sidewall height, if both ratios were the same the front tires would have a smaller outside diameter and the ASR, ABS, and other computer controlled functions wouldn't work as they were designed.
You need to have tires with an outside diameter that is less than 3% difference in O.D. front to rear (or side to side) to have things work as they should.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The 40, 45, 50, 55, numbers are the ratio between the tire width and the sidewall height, if both ratios were the same the front tires would have a smaller outside diameter and the ASR, ABS, and other computer controlled functions wouldn't work as they were designed.
You need to have tires with an outside diameter that is less than 3% difference in O.D. front to rear (or side to side) to have things work as they should.
+1. You said it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts