Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a fluid/filter change this weekend. First one ever. After putting about 4 liters in I began hearing it pour out the rear of the pan. Thought it was the gasket. Pulled pan off, inspected and reinstalled...added fluid and got the same result.

Today I took another look, backed off pan bolts and torqued them to 8nm. Wiped everything down and put in just a bit of fluid and captured this video:

https://youtu.be/3t2cnzB-C0o

Does the car need to be level for the torque converter to fill? Right now it’s jacked up in front only. In the video it looks like it’s coming from above the transmission. Where is it coming from?

·
Registered
237 Posts
You might overfill your AT if you didn't let the oil out in the converter
and you only drain the oil out at the pan place only.
The latter is around 2 ~ 2.5 L ATF and the front converter is around 3L ATF.

722.4 AT series hold around 5.5 - 6L capacity of ATF in total.
Have someone help you rotate the converter and locate the small drain bolt by rotating the crankshaft bolt at the front, clockwise direction.
Once done, mark the relevant position with a paint pen on the crank pulley or on the converter.

Overflowing ATF in your video indicates a overfill...so suck out the extra ATF and read the ATF level again on a level ground.

Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. I did drain the converter by removing the 5mm plug and I got a ton of fluid out. I think I need to start by leveling out the car, then check fluid level. Do I need to start the car to get the fluid to move to the converter?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, the engine needs to be running to pump the fluid into the torque converter. Basically you want the car level, and then you add a couple-three quarts of ATF. Then check the level with the dipstick. Keep adding until it shows full. Once it shows full, start the car and idle it for 30 seconds to a minute. Don't rev it up, don't try to drive. Just operate the pump. Then turn it off. Then re-check the transmission fluid level. Keep doing this until the level stops falling, e.g., the torque converter is completely full. Then, go drive the car for 20 minutes to make sure the transmission is at full operating temperature. (This happens quite a while after the engine reaches full temp.) Then do a final read on the ATF level and adjust as necessary.

Good luck!

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where I'm coming up on another transmission fluid change myself.

Thanks for reply. I did drain the converter by removing the 5mm plug and I got a ton of fluid out. I think I need to start by leveling out the car, then check fluid level. Do I need to start the car to get the fluid to move to the converter?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm? the engine should always be idling when you check the transmission dipstick.
. Thanks. That much I remember even though I’ve been driving a manual for 5 years. So the trans must have a safety valve or stand pipe on top for the fluid to escape like it did?

I’ll report back after I get it off jacks and level. While it’s up I’m going to change the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a good practice to always measure the amount of fluid that you remove-
so that when you replace fluid you do not overfill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Car is back to level ground and all seems well. Still working on getting exactly the correct amount. It’s shifting a little harder than before.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a good practice to always measure the amount of fluid that you remove-
so that when you replace fluid you do not overfill.
looks like I pulled out 6.5 quarts. I finished putting in the O2 sensor, so now I need to drive and check levels to fine time it. Feel like an idiot, but I guess live and learn.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
looks like I pulled out 6.5 quarts. I finished putting in the O2 sensor, so now I need to drive and check levels to fine time it. Feel like an idiot, but I guess live and learn.
Was the 6.5 qts from the pan only or did it include the torque converter?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was both pan and torque converter. After driving for a day the level was a little high. I pumped some out but haven’t checked level yet. Still shift hard, mostly from 3-4. This didn’t happen before the trans oil/filter change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too experienced harsher shifts when I changed my atf fluid. I changed my old one to dexmerc (not sure what was in there before). You can soften your shifts by removing a cap from the transmission modulator and turning the T counterclockwise. The proper way to adjust modulator pressure is to do it with a gauge and checking the modulating pressure but I just adjust it by feel.

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
I'd take and live with the firm shift. However, we did have a member once whose tires were scratching every time it shifted....that's excessive and needs to be adjusted.

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
christuna
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing