Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230; 2000 Cadillac Catera; 1997 Nissan 200SX SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you install the pulley is there an obvious differance sound weis(like at idel and excelleration)? Meaning you dont have to have owned a r170 to notice the differance in sound? Just wondering is there any benifit other than a little HP increase. Oh and does an after market exhaust sound "ricey" on these cars?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
No difference in sound at idle or at cruise with pulley. It will have a louder s/c whine at full throttle. What do you consider "a little HP". I consider a second off your 1/4 mile ET significant. You'll be faster than an SLK320. I don' think anyone that's done an ASP pulley kit regrets it. This is not some lame mod like a muffler or CAI. As for exhaust, a muffler will not make much of a difference unless you put a free flowing muffler and even then, just a few ponies. If you want to get significant power you'll need Supersprint headers, new pipes, free flow cat, and a good muffler like Eisenmann or Supersprint but that will set you back few thousand.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230; 2000 Cadillac Catera; 1997 Nissan 200SX SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "little HP" comment. I forget what one persons opinion might not be the same for everyone. Oh and does the exhaust sound like crap or is that going to depend on brand etc? Like late 90's civic sounds like crap no matter what exhaust you put on them IMHO

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The straight exhaust on the 230 is one of the loudest most evil things you can imagine. It's terrible without some sort of muffling.
Most exhausts will bring it to a reasonable level, but which sounds best is a matter of opinion.
I liked my RENNTech exhaust, but it wasn't cheap at the time (1999). Cost is a bit less now, but still not cheap.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I had a Renntech muffler (made by Sebring/Remus like most tuner mufflers) on my C230 with the same motor. No difference in performance, felt or on dyno. Not much difference in noise, just a lower tone throatier sound at idle but you had to stand behind the car to hear it, no much difference from inside the cockpit.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Can't say who actually manufactured the exhaust, but it was made in Canada, that much I do know... :)
And there was a definite difference heard both inside and outside the car, as I said, mine was an early unit, and probably not made by Sebring/Remus. It cost $1,200 far different than the current units.
I agree there was little or no performance gain, just enough sound energy to set off alarms in nearby Hondas......... :D

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Bruce R. said:
I agree there was little or no performance gain, just enough sound energy to set off alarms in nearby Hondas......... :D
Wow, that's a far cry from my experience in terms of sound volume. With aftermarket pipes on my old Harley I can set off car alarms. We used to have contests at work with other bikers that involved driving the entire parking structure and see how many car alarms we could trip.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Auto RHD (Japan spec)
237 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
No difference in sound at idle or at cruise with pulley. It will have a louder s/c whine at full throttle. What do you consider "a little HP". I consider a second off your 1/4 mile ET significant. You'll be faster than an SLK320. I don' think anyone that's done an ASP pulley kit regrets it. This is not some lame mod like a muffler or CAI. As for exhaust, a muffler will not make much of a difference unless you put a free flowing muffler and even then, just a few ponies. If you want to get significant power you'll need Supersprint headers, new pipes, free flow cat, and a good muffler like Eisenmann or Supersprint but that will set you back few thousand.
unlucky me supersprint only have left hand drive headers.. sigh...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just installed my RENNTech exhaust with sound pipe. It sounds awesome. A very deep growl and very throaty...not ricey at all.....sounds excellent!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts