Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only mobil1 0w40 can be used?

Cause i cant seem to find any mobil1 0w40 at my local autozone, kragen, napa, and pepboy. it seems like they hardly carries that weight its usually 5w30 10w30 or 10w40 they only carry.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
You can use other brands of oil in your car. As long as it meets the 229.3 MB Spec. Do a Google search for Mercedes Approved oil and you will have the list of other oils that can be purchased.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
See

Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations
if you diy and get your filters,(proper fleece)and order 2 5liter jugs from autohausaz.com the filter and oil add up to over 50 bucks so shipping is free.
Or walmart has mobil1 0w40 syn.
:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
It seems like I can buy the Mobil1 0W40 at practically every chain store we have here like AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts and Walmart (as was mentioned). My problem has been finding the Mobil1 ESP 5W40 that Mercedes began recommending some time last year. To make a long story short, that's what I have in my car, no one around has it, but the MB dealer where the girlfriend lives sells it by the quart. The parts guy there said MB is now going back to the Mobil1 0W40 recommendation, however the Bluetec diesels still require the 5W40.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
only mobil1 0w40 can be used?

Cause i cant seem to find any mobil1 0w40 at my local autozone, kragen, napa, and pepboy. it seems like they hardly carries that weight its usually 5w30 10w30 or 10w40 they only carry.
Strange, I'm not that far away and I buy mine at Kragen and Pepboys. They do seem to run out of it quite frequently, so I just check at regular intervals - and stock up whenever they have a special.

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
After some checking I noticed that Wallmart started carrying 0-40 lately. In small bottles, while other weight are available in convenient and cheaper gallons, or 5-liters, but still a good deal.
A month ago Kragen had coupons for Mobil 1, what beat even Wallmart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all! i went to walmart and they had it i never went in a walmart before hearing bad thing about them but now im only going there for oil and maybe few other stuff but not for the e430 lol.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
You can use other brands of oil in your car. As long as it meets the 229.3 MB Spec. Do a Google search for Mercedes Approved oil and you will have the list of other oils that can be purchased.
AC, I'm surprised you didn't know that the link for MB approved oils is in the Tips/Tricks/FAQ sticky... :D

Take care and enjoy the properly-lubricated ride,
Greg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just an FYI, I buy the 229.5 Mobil 1 0W40 at the local Farm & Fleet. They have a big wall of just about every type of oil you'd ever want and the prices are not bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts