Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to annoy you guys too muh lol.
I have an issue with my oil leaking aswell,ive had the valve cover gaskets and oil hoses inspected and they look fine.
also had the oil pan resealed twice now with RTV sealant in less than a year and still smell oil burning on some days and see oil dripping by skid plate underneath.
Is it a certain way and particular sealant to use fixing this pan?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2005 S600
533 Posts
Your “guy” is incompetent. Screwed up the spark plugs. Screwed up this job, too.

The gaskets need to be replaced. Again. Mercedes is very specific when they say NO RTV.

Find somebody different for this work.

·
Registered
2004 S55 , 2005 S55 , 2004 S430
89 Posts
Well first you need to accurately identify where it is leaking. Common leaks are valve covers and not only the gasket but the breather baffles attached to the top of the covers the gasket is rubber and breathers use rtv ( the good stuff not off the shelf ) permatex ultra grey is decent , also replace oil cap or seal. The oil level sensor o ring is commonly overlooked as it has to come out from inside the oil pan so should be done while pan is off also the oil pan uses rtv only but it is essential to clean oil from both pans for silicone to seal properly. Rear main crankshaft seal is common but the retaining plate must also be replaced or resealed ,also rtv gasket or it will still leak ,dont ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well first you need to accurately identify where it is leaking. Common leaks are valve covers and not only the gasket but the breather baffles attached to the top of the covers the gasket is rubber and breathers use rtv ( the good stuff not off the shelf ) permatex ultra grey is decent , also replace oil cap or seal. The oil level sensor o ring is commonly overlooked as it has to come out from inside the oil pan so should be done while pan is off also the oil pan uses rtv only but it is essential to clean oil from both pans for silicone to seal properly. Rear main crankshaft seal is common but the retaining plate must also be replaced or resealed ,also rtv gasket or it will still leak ,dont ask me how I know this.
The rubber on the valver cover gaskets look new still,but when the car was lifted at this knuckleheads shop i could see oil dripping from certain areas on the pan and other sides of the pan looked dry n clean as if it was only sealed halfway or had oil seeping from spots RTV was not fully filled in
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2004 S55 , 2005 S55 , 2004 S430
89 Posts
If the pan seems to be leaking on passenger or right side it's probably the oil level sensor which is in the upper pan above and has an o ring that gets hard and leaks then runs down over side of pan . If you look down from above behind alternator you can see where it passes thru the pan. To replace the o ring you have to drop the lower pan and unbolt the sensor and pull it out from the bottom after unpluging the connector of course . The o ring is available,you dont have to replace the sensor itself. And dont try to pile a bunch of silicone on the out side trying to stop the leak it won't work and while you have pan off clean out the upper pan so oil isn't running down on the mating surface of the new oil pan sealant before you get pan reassembled, silicone won't stick to oil. Keep in mind the oil in the pan when correctly filled is above this parting line and will leak if not sealed correctly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts