Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the process of buying a G55, which I am thrilled about. However, and I do not wish to offend anyone that feels otherwise, I am not a big fan of the "bling," i.e. metal guards, etc. I don't mind the underbar in the front, but the small cages on the turn lamps and rear brake lights need to go, if possible. Is this easily done?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
05' G55K GE
108 Posts
It is very easy to remove it all however you will have to plug the three holes left by the turn indicator cages. If I recall, the holes are about 3/8" in diameter.

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So then is it safe to assume that small rubber 3/8" sized grommets might fill the holes?

BTW, the MY I am buying is an 05, I see that is the year you have. I also have an 02 which has had it's fair share of electrical gremlins but nonetheless my love for the beast has kept it through the challenges. Have you had any specific issues with your 05 that are mentionable?

My wife is kind enough to unload her 07 Denali, take my 02 G and let me fulfill this desire :)

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
05' G55K GE
108 Posts
I used 3/8" Flush Hole Plugs. You will have to trim the edge of the two closest to the light as there is not enough room.

I had an 03 that MBUSA bought back because of electrical issues. My 05 has been trouble free after 60K+ miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Can I ask, was your 03 a G55 or G500? Just curious how much added thrills the MY 05 Kompressor came with. I have always been impressed with the power behind the 292hp G500, I cannot wait to step on the pedal of the new one. Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
future G55/63
119 Posts
I don't have a G yet but have driven 3 so far: 1st drive was 30 minutes in an 03 G500, then very short but all I needed 15 minutes in an 09 G550 (very, very nice- smooth and refined, and of course new), then an 05 G55 which felt like it had a little tire balance issue but was overall fun. More harsh on the suspension than the others, and just not as smooth as the 550 due to the 5 spd tranny. The power was amazing although a little too much of a surge feel for me. However, I have gotten used to the naturally aspirated feel of my S4 Audi 6spd so that's probably also why I like the fluid throttle response of the new G550.

If it matters at all to you, the tech said it's no big deal to swap in G500 springs into the G55 to regain the nicer ride.

Have fun. What colors is it?

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I purchased another silver one, just like my 02...silver on black interior/G55 Grand Edition. The only G I have ever driven so far is the one I have, so I feel like a bit of a nuckelhead buying the new one sight unseen, without having driven it. I am relying on a car broker that I have used in the past for the sake of due diligence, he hasn't disappointed me yet...but having said that, vehicle quality is one thing and ride quality is another. I hope I like it and don't find it to be an undesirable daily driver. For what it is worth, I have always enjoyed the "stiff" ride of the G and I have a short drive to my office on a daily basis. The only time I find the need for a "seventh inning stretch" is when I drive to the Tahoe area or anywhere that tends to be in excess of 4 hrs drive time.

·
Registered
2005 G55KGE
6 Posts
Thank you. Can I ask, was your 03 a G55 or G500? Just curious how much added thrills the MY 05 Kompressor came with. I have always been impressed with the power behind the 292hp G500, I cannot wait to step on the pedal of the new one. Thanks again for your replies.
I had a 2003 G500. There is no comparison between the 500 and the 55.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts