Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know i don't have a muffler on my car as it just sits in my trunk because i like my car to sound mean :p

Anyways couple months back it had to go through smog which it didn't pass and nothing was said about it not havinga muffler, they put a new catalytic converter on it and i guess that passed the car but when they did that the car got louder than what it was originally at.

So does that make sense a new cat can help pass smog with no muffler and increase the sound? Not that i'm complaining, love it like this i just don't think that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yeah, the cat is what helps clean up the exhaust gasses, and you may have a bit more low end power with this setup. if you were just running a straight pipe you probably had barely any back pressure. Not haveing to much back pressure is good to a point but no back pressure is bad.. As far as it getting louder, that is a bit odd, i know it would change the sound, but making it louder is a bit odd.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, another stupid question that i use to know..

US Spec 1989 560SEL - self leveling or w/o self leveling.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would bet that the old cat was partially clogged up and may have deadened or restricted the sound more so than a new efficient flowing cat that does a better job emission wise yet may sound louder just because it flows more freely. Did you have to go to a Test Only station? I'm surprised they did not fail it for modified exhaust!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm pretty sure that beast has self leveling, Mine does. So yours must.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would bet that the old cat was partially clogged up and may have deadened or restricted the sound more so than a new efficient flowing cat that does a better job emission wise yet may sound louder just because it flows more freely. Did you have to go to a Test Only station? I'm surprised they did not fail it for modified exhaust!
We take it to this one place we take all our cars that actually runs the test to see if it passes or not. If it doesn't pass he lets us know and he takes it to whoever to get it changed/fixed so it will pass. Nothing was said about the missing muffler, just said it needed a new cat which was put on and now it's different.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Brandon! What cat did you put? Did you do it yourself and took it to a mechanic? How much did it cost?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Brandon! What cat did you put? Did you do it yourself and took it to a mechanic? How much did it cost?
I forget how much the smog was, i can check it with my dad when he gets back but i have no idea what kind of cat they put it on it. Just told us they replaced it. And it was taken to a mechanic, the same muffler shop that took off my muffler to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts