Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This week I have been experiencing a problem with my 2000 SLK230 5 speed. In the morning, the car starts up fine but then really struggles and sputters when I give it gas and the check engine light comes on. After a couple minutes once it warms up, it runs great and the check engine light will eventually go off. I have done a search and found suggestions such as bad gas, overfilled the tank, software update (is that only 99?), and bad sensors.

I guess I am hopeful it's just bad gas...would that only affect the cold start? I filled up on Monday (didn't notice an overfill but used the automatic shutoff) and the problem started Tuesday and has been happening each morning since. Do you think it's ok if I continue to drive it? Should I have the dealer check it now, or is it ok to try and run the tank empty and fill up at another station?

Thanks for any help!
Keith

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
pull the obd codes, it will tell you whats up and ppl here will be able to help much more. You can use one at autozone I think for free if you don't have one.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
I don't think you'll harm anything by waiting, but it sounds more like a bad sensor than bad gas. I'd agree on trying to pull a code, whether you do it yourself or take it to the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts