Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, the cluster went out on my 2004 S500 (the background illumination disappeared). The dealer replaced it, and the new one looks pretty much the same, but there are a couple of changes I noticed in the multi-function display. First, instead of "No Malfunctions" the screen says "No Messages." Also, when I have it on the compass/nav menu, the direction can now contain a hyphen, such as "S-W" whereas before it just showed "SW."

Obviously no big deal on either count, but I was wondering if these changes were part of the new cluster itself (or did I get an old one as replacement?) or are the changes part of a software update they may have done while they were installing the replacement? I guess I would ask those with MY2004 cars, which text does your car display?

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2007 GL450
60 Posts
I get the S-W and No Messages indications on my 2006 S430 display.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the cluster replaced on my 2000 S500. The dealer said they were going to a standardized cluster, that they can program, as needed to the car it was being installed in. I found the upgrade cluster had some nice enhancements over the old one.

·
Registered
2004 S500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEY, what was the miles when you hooked up the new cluster?
Did it give you an option to change the miles?
Around 47,000.

The data on the new display seems to be the same as the one it replaced, with one exception: on the screen that shows mileage, average speed and average mpg since last reset, it shows 47,000 miles since last reset.

Other than than, it seems that all data and all my user-controlled settings were transferred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts