Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that k&n filters require an oil to be placed on the filter. and some say that this oil can get on the maf and cause the engine to run poorly or even damage the maf.

if i install an aftermarket intake, do all those air filters require oil on them? if i get a k&n intake, will it require oil on it? im just curious, since ive never done this upgrade before. also, do those conical type filters provide the same quality of filtration as the flat box type filters?

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
The K&N filters come PRE-oiled and are ready to go straight from the box, then once you do the cleaning after X amount of Miles you then add the oil to the filter yourself, and the key then is too add just enough oil but not too much,, because if you add too much you will easily cause problems with your MAF.

I have had the Panel filter on my Benz for 3 years with no problems whatsoever.

I would stick with the Panel filter only, unless you get a GOOD setup just like the one LAMF has. IF not, then just drop in a K&N panel filter and you are good to go.

There is no use getting an open Cone filter that sucks hot exhaust air back into your engine, if you do it, do it right.

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
awwwwwwwwww how flirtaticious:sloppy:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I used to be a fan of the drop-in K&N filter until I spent more time on this forum.

Read through this and see what you think thereafter:

Technical Articles: Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better

I think the cone-style K&Ns may still offer some advantage, but on our cars they ruin the intake design and aren't a good choice. So I'm back to paper OEM.

Either way, do some reading, learn a bit, make up your own mind. :thumbsup:

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
+1
Apart from the possible MAF contamination and lousy filtration, there are dyno tests on the R170 site showing negligible performance improvement (and then only on SLKs with aftermarket pullies for the kompressor)

We all agonise over the best oil etc when air filtration is the biggest issue concerning engine wear by far.

Save your dough for something better.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have done some research already, and i know that if i put in an aftermarket intake, i will make sure it is enclosed and shielded from the heat. i will also route cold air to the filter (i still have to look at where im going to get the air source)

ive also read that you want a longer skinny (standard size) tube for more torque and a fatter shorter tube for more hp. im looking at maybe getting the entire intake up to the throttle body replaced, and then somehow insulating the piping because it runs right over the top of the engine and then right over the exhaust headers. im not sure what insulation material i would use yet though.

ill do some more research and probably have some more questions :) thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
liquid: the reason it runs over the engine is that there are cam breathers. You'd have to find a way to connect those to the new system. Most cars just have a hose for this.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine is a hose that connects to the side of the engine. its not like your 280 where its on the bottom of the intake. :)

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG
340 Posts
I have a k&n cone style and it connects right onto the screen before the MAF so I didn't have to unplug or modify a plug for the MAF. I heard that it does dammage the MAF but I went with it to try it and honestly I have noticed a good power gain especially when it hits 3k rpm. I also have a DTM muffler and I did the exhaust from the cat back now the car sound like a Jet plain taking off no one would've expected it from a C-Class. I am also going to try it this year and actually see how it runs on track with these two mods, I know on the high way i have noticed that i don't have to put much into the throttle to gain power ever since i did that so we'll see how th 1/4 mile runs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
awwwwwwwwww how flirtaticious:sloppy:
haha, now you've embaressed me :p But hey, I really can't believe you (Greg) said that,, that MUST have been your GF talking there! :p

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
haha, now you've embaressed me :p But hey, I really can't believe you (Greg) said that,, that MUST have been your GF talking there! :p
hahaha nah she was out but i did think of her while writing that as thats exactly what she woulda said. loooooooove you:gay:

·
Registered
672 Posts
hahaha nah she was out but i did think of her while writing that as thats exactly what she woulda said. loooooooove you:gay:
Lmaooo ok I believe you :rolleyes: But tell her she's a sweet person for me ok? :) and as for you, your a one of a kind man! love ye too bro! :gay:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts