Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D so i was looking is oil is as many as many as it need to be and i have some questions wath this is ment for

and wath is diference between daimler and mercedes ... i found out my is daimler-benz AG ( wath is AG ) ahh it is GE 230 W460.2 ( dont know wath is taht .2 but find out it today too)

i know thees are noob questions but i want to know answears... :D thx for answears....

·
Registered
'83 300GD LWB, 230E
63 Posts
Jack lives there

That's where I keep a jack. That's where it was when I bought it, and I always assumed that's what it's for.

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
RE: Jack lives there

Kermit - 4/17/2006 5:03 AM

That's where I keep a jack. That's where it was when I bought it, and I always assumed that's what it's for.
Correct

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,198 Posts
Anyone have one of those mounts?

My 463 jack is under the passenger seat & it stinks (literally). Anyone have one of these nifty mounts?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: Anyone have one of those mounts?

I can send you one Alan. Does the 463 jack fit here? I can send you a pic of the 460 jack with measurements to make sure if you like.

Send me e-mail.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Here is a photo of the jack. I do not have the clever fitting for the top that cradles the axle. Anyone have a photo of one of those? The jacks have a double lift and almost go to 3 times the height of it closed. I hope you can find the original unit. Pretty cool. You gotta have a jack. I do not have any of the tools that were supposed to make it go up and come down so can't photograph those for you.

-Dai

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts

Hipine - 4/17/2006 10:57 PM

I can send you one Alan. Does the 463 jack fit here? I can send you a pic of the 460 jack with measurements to make sure if you like.

Send me e-mail.

-Dave G.
The 460 jack is physically larger than the 463 jack. I'd be surprised it it fit and/or if there's an open space on the inner wheel well to mount it on a 463.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
The 460 supplied jack should be checked for having sufficient oil in it, especially if its new to you.

There is a drain or top up bung under a rubber cover which will accept the thin shockabsorber or jack oil needed.

Pump the handle supplied in the tool kit or a made up one of tube and check that it will extend fully.

Release the screw and collapse the jack do this several times.

Reseal the jack and store along with the tools, the tools all fit in the tool tray by the passengers feet.

Dave

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,198 Posts

Hipine - 4/17/2006 7:57 PM

Send me e-mail.

-Dave G.
I might take you up on that! I think it will fit in the area normally reserved for the Webasto heater.

I'll get you some measurements by email.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
Hello,

The Daimler-Benz AG was the German Mothership named after their founder Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz. (we had to learn this in Kindergarten - before the war...)
Mercedes, named after a pretty female family member, is the name of their line of vehicles.
AG stands for "Aktien-Gesellschaft" - a public shareholder organization - a corporation with public traded shares.
After (xxxxxx) - I mean - merging with the Chrysler Corporation this company became the (our beloved) Daimler-Chrysler Corp.

I really wished we had some of those nice "Daimler-Benz Aktien" from my parent's days laying around - I wouldn't need to drag the old 300GE through the mudd...

Karl

·
Registered
MB G300D & A170CDI
116 Posts
Correct except about the "Mercedes" part,

Short version:
Mercedes was the daughter of Emile Jellinek who raced Daimlers and used his daughters name on his cars. Jellinek was not a relative of the Daimler's or Benz's.

Long version:

In 1896 Daimler gained Emil Jellinek (1853-1918) as a client. He was a wealthy businessman, born in Austria but living in Nice on the French Riviera. Jellinek was a speed addict: when he was 19 he had to give up a promising career with the railways when he had persuaded a locomotive engine driver to join him for a nocturnal speed test. Now that the automobile was commercially available he first bought a three-wheeled de Dion-Bouton, then a L‚on Boll‚e and a Benz until he heard of Daimler. He visited the factory and bought the car but was severely disappointed at the top speed of only 25 km/h. He demanded 40 km/h.

Discussions with Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach had convinced Jellinek that the company could do better. The German engineers were concerned with reliability and safety but Jellinek remained firm: "Don't voice your concerns to me, build stronger engines and take care of it in any way that you want. I order four Daimlers and also pay for them. I personally take the responsibility for driving at 40 km/h, you are not risking anything in that respect.

Jellinek got what he wanted and reported: " Gentlemen, your worries had no foundation. I've driven the cars at 42 km/h and they haven't disintegrated and I myself still remain in one piece too."

At the same time Jellinek presented more demands: the engine had to be front-mounted and of four cylinders. Based on this Daimler developed a 24-horsepower Phoenix model which Jellinek used to win his class in La Turbie hill-climb in 1899. Impressed by the feat, baron Arthur de Rothschild, a wealthy amateur racing driver wanted a car of similar specifications and thus Jellinek became the Daimler representative at Riviera. During his first year he sold more than 30 cars.

The success was dimmed by the death of Wilhelm Bauer in the 1900 race of La Turbie. Jellinek claimed that the reason for the accident was that the car was too tall and heavy. " One of our best man fell a victim to your poorly designed monster", Jellinek wrote.Jellinek outlined a specification for a completely new type of a car: longer wheelbase, wider track, lower center of gravity, 35 horsepower engine. Wilhelm Maybach and Gottlieb's son Paul Daimler (1869-1945) responded to the demands and completed the first cars in six months. Jellinek had promised to buy the whole production run and this he did, receiving all the 36 cars. It was the biggest single order ever made up to that time.

Jellinek also demanded that the car he "designed" would be named after Mercedes at least in France, Austria and USA where Jellinek held the exclusive selling rights to Daimler. Eventually Daimler consented by giving the name to all his cars.

Although in the first race, the Pau Grand Prix in February 1901, the new car didn't finish, it was quite obvious that it would become successful.

Officially the Mercedes name was registered 23.6.1902. Jellinek was so enthused by the Mercedes name that in 1903 he changed his surname to Mercedes-Jellinek. He boasted to be "the first man ever to take his daughter's name". Jellinek's relationship with the Daimler company soured especially after Wilhelm Maybach had left

1 - 14 of 14 Posts