Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2003 ML350
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A weird issue has developed on my 2003 ML350 that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere.

When I open my drivers side rear quarter window, it opens just fine. But, once it's fully opened, the motor doesn't stop. The plastic housing that connects to the window just keeps spinning and spinning until I stop pressing the button.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and fixed it?

Thanks!

W163 and General Mercedes Host
Hi All,

A weird issue has developed on my 2003 ML350 that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere.

When I open my drivers side rear quarter window, it opens just fine. But, once it's fully opened, the motor doesn't stop. The plastic housing that connects to the window just keeps spinning and spinning until I stop pressing the button.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and fixed it?

Thanks!
Does not seem to be any discussions/peeps specific to your issue.
Have you checked the fuses for this?
The switch itself (one for each side) perhaps needs a cleaning - with electrical contact cleaner?

Some additional info

Reactions: PUKBenz

Registered
2003 ml500
I'd like to know what to do as well. My 03 ML500 does the same thing on the passenger side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PUKBenz

I'd like to know what to do as well. My 03 ML500 does the same thing on the passenger side.

I havent read anything about these motor assemblies failing (although I suppose they could).

Have you inspected the fasteners to see if they are secured tight ?
Awhile back, I had minor issues where the boot (cover), I thought was missing or popped off and discovered the fasteners were loose.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.29.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.29.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.29.51 AM.png

Registered
2003 ML350
Discussion Starter #5
I havent read anything about these motor assemblies failing (although I suppose they could).

Have you inspected the fasteners to see if they are secured tight ?
Awhile back, I had minor issues where the boot (cover), I thought was missing or popped off and discovered the fasteners were loose.

View attachment 2640204 View attachment 2640205 View attachment 2640206
Your last sentence is intriguing to me, because as I looked at your photos, I don't recall seeing a boot on mine. I believe I just see the arm like in your first photo. However, I'm not sure why or how this would cause the motor to keep turning even once the window has been fully opened.

For reference, the part I'm talking about the keeps spinning if I keep the open button pressed after the window is open is circled in RED here:

Any ideas, anyone??

Your boot my not be missing. I originally thought it was missing on my PS.
These boots retract back (towards the motor assembly), if they are not secured onto the window fastener (circled in red). They extend outwards like an accordion when opened.
Take a closer look in the motor assembly where the rod is located - the boot (cover) could very well be retracted inside that area.

The spinning issue -
That fastener on the rear 1/4 window is loose. You need to pop loose that cover and tighten the fastener.

More info -

Registered
2003 ML350
Discussion Starter #7
Your boot my not be missing. I originally thought it was missing on my PS.
These boots retract back (towards the motor assembly), if they are not secured onto the window fastener (circled in red). They extend outwards like an accordion when opened.
Take a closer look in the motor assembly where the rod is located - the boot (cover) could very well be retracted inside that area.

The spinning issue -
That fastener on the rear 1/4 window is loose. You need to pop loose that cover and tighten the fastener.

More info -
Thank you for the info!! I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. From what I remember when looking at it over the weekend, I didn't quite see how the plastic cover pops loose/open, which had me puzzled at the time.

Any tips on how exactly that's done?

From either the outside or the boot side, use a thin blade philips screwdriver or equivalent, at the seam and pop it off.
It's a light snap-fit cover.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 2.57.47 PM.png

Registered
2003 ml500
I checked the plastic piece with the bellows and it has cracked at each corner. I tried clipping it back on but it's too far gone. It's hard to believe the original design relied on that piece of plastic to hold it all together.

I checked the plastic piece with the bellows and it has cracked at each corner. I tried clipping it back on but it's too far gone. It's hard to believe the original design relied on that piece of plastic to hold it all together.

Post a photo of what you have.

Registered
2003 ml500
Post a photo of what you have.
The outer plastic button is loose feeling and wobbles but I can't tighten it by hand.

Your cap cover is toast. Goto to post #6, and see if you can find the replacement part.
PnP is your best bet.

Stealership, if it's available, will charge you handsomely (if they even sell the separate component).

Registered
2003 ML350
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still a bit confused. I popped off that plastic housing, but could not find anywhere a "nut" that could be tightened. I looked at the MB service bulletin to remove the rear quarter window and it appears that there is no nut. You just simply pull up on the window to release it from the motor arm. It also mentions something about adhesive, and to me, it appears as though the base that is spinning is actually supposed to be held in place by a sort of glue from the factory to the window glass. Is this incorrect?

I'm still a bit confused. I popped off that plastic housing, but could not find anywhere a "nut" that could be tightened. I looked at the MB service bulletin to remove the rear quarter window and it appears that there is no nut. You just simply pull up on the window to release it from the motor arm. It also mentions something about adhesive, and to me, it appears as though the base that is spinning is actually supposed to be held in place by a sort of glue from the factory to the window glass. Is this incorrect?
I believe (not 100%) that the button fastener, on the out side of the 1/4 glass panel, has a threaded screw that pokes thru a hole in that glass. (Just using some logic). You need to carefully grip or press that button fastener to hold it from spinning and then from the inner-side, pull and turn that cover (or a fastener..) counter clockwise (like any bolt/nut fastener) to remove it.
I am assuming it's the window side button nut that's spinning?

EDIT:
If not, let me know. I can dig up the R& I for you to remove the quarter (1/4) panel rear glass and it's motor mechanism

Registered
2003 ML350
Discussion Starter #17
No, it's the part that you pointed to with a white arrow. The part spins if you keep the open button depressed, rather than just stopping once the window is opened. I believe that piece is not secured by a screw-motion tightening, but rather by an adhesive (which I think is degraded now on mine, causing the spinning). Correct me if I am wrong.

No, it's the part that you pointed to with a white arrow. The part spins if you keep the open button depressed, rather than just stopping once the window is opened. I believe that piece is not secured by a screw-motion tightening, but rather by an adhesive (which I think is degraded now on mine, causing the spinning). Correct me if I am wrong.
Here's the R&I required.

Attachments

As for replacing the portion on the quarter glass, MB has an Adjuster Kit, Quarter Glass part number 163 672 00 01
Not sure what this kit contains though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts