Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hear '03,'04, '05 have bad problems but '06 and '07 are okay? What do you think? Maybe CDI is exception?

·
Registered
04 E320 4Matic
157 Posts
May be just mine, but my 04 has been quite reliable, except of course, some occasional small problems.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Mercedes makes cars that aren't CDI powered???

My 2006 has been PERFECT, but then again what would expect from the most produced engine type in the Mercedes line of vehicles... C D I

DB

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
I get the idea that the most disconcerting issues on the '03's & '04's were largely taken care of by MB recalls & updates.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
19 Posts
The wife's '06 CDI has been nothing but great! Absolutely no problems. Ed B

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
Our 2003 E500 has had no issues. 61,000 miles and still going. Only things were normal maintenance. Brake pad replacement, tires oil change etc. Jim

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
92 Posts
So far at 94,000 miles on the CDI:

Standard recalls (sensotronic brake reprogram, front suspension bolts)
Transmission sensor o-ring leak (recall campaign)
Trunk leak (warranty)
Rear trunk light control module (probably damaged by repair of trunk and/or rear light fixture replacement)
Lower ball joints ("wear item")
EGR valve (out of warranty)
Rebuilt alternator with voltage regulator
Two sets of tires, two brake bleeds
Bodywork from foreign objects on dark roads (truck retread carcass) and as parked car (rear light lens broken) and new windshield (rock)
Various computer reprograms for errors in transmission program and others
Fuel leak near fuel pump (from ULSD? Additive? timing implies PS caused it since ULSD was there a few months already)

Car still has its original brake pads.
The remote control rarely is able to close the windows/sunroof like its supposed to. The audio system sometimes resets itself to play the single CD. The rain sensing windshield wipers often need manual override from being too frequent or not turning on soon enough. The dealer usually returns the car with computer glitches that seem to often correct themselves.

It felt like Star Trek when the computer shut down unnecessary systems on my way to the dealer when the alternator malfunctioned. The last system to threaten shut down was the brakes and I was right near the dealer after a 2 hour drive on a fully recharged (by me) battery.

I'd get another any day.

PL

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
W211/ 2003 Ok!

Hello All,
I have a MBZ 2003 E320 49,800 miles.
I have had NO MAJOR PROBLEMS with this great auto.
I have read some of the horror stories listed on this forum with regard to brakes with squeal, electric ghosts, air conditioning smell and so on.....
Yes, Iam a "CAR CRAZY" guy. I do all the detail work myself and have the car maintained by an MBZ dealer. I do believe, as many of you, that you must do your "home work" when purchasing a pre -owned MBZ. Get a warranty and befriend a good service advisor at a dealer that you feel comfortable with.
It is my understanding that purchasing a pre-owned LEASED MBZ, many of the bugs have been repaired by the dealer.
As with any high end car,read some of the BMW. TOYOTA/ LEXUS forums and you will see the many problems that those autos have.
Enjoy the MBZ ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2003 E200K RHD with nearly 100k miles on the clock.

I bought it 2nd hand with around 70k miles up in 2006 from a good friend - I knew the car from new! . The Engine Light was on but I was told this was a minor problem and would be sorted easily - the garage had already replaced a breather hose to fix it but the fault came back as I was taking ownership.

I love driving the car but it has given me no end of grief - far too much to give the details but the abbreviated version....

Failed NCT (Irish equivalent to UK MOT) on emissions which led to nightmare garage visits (oxygen sensor changed several times and several attempts to replace/reprogram the Engine Control Unit failed). The problem would appear to be fixed until a complete driving cycle had been done (about 500Km) and then it would return to normal (faulty) emission levels. Through all this the car was driving fine !

To cut a very long story short my E200 was put on the back of a truck and transported to Stuttgart in German (from Ireland !) where the problem was resolved but I don't know how.

In total I was without the car for a 6 month continuous period and probably 9 months in total taking all garage visits into account.

Now the air conditioning has failed - I hope it just needs to be charged or have the temperature regulator replaced whic I may attempt to do myself.

Posted here last night on a weird experience with "display faulty - visit workshop"

Sorry to rain on anybody's parade but I am struggling to stay positive about my E200

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Brand new 08 E350 4matic:

Fuel pump failure at just 500 miles and required towing and unscheduled warranty service. No joke. Has been perfect since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 04 E320 used with 66K and it has been flawless. :bowdown:

I drove it all the way home 2 days ago from the dealer over 20 miles without a hitch!!!:D Sorry, couldn't resist..

I am interested in what deficiencies have been reported and how to notice shortcoming early to avoid further difficulties.

I did by a local serviced at dealer car with a clean carfax. You have to love those. I found a great deal on one but found it had 3 owners and had been in a front end accident something hard to learn in times past

Please post your problems not to whine but to inform.

Wulfmann

·
Registered
553 Posts
bought it with like 50k miles, so far:

control arms replaced, passenger seat baby chair sensor, particle filter cleaned, turbo wastegate system locked up and whole turbo had to be replaced, transmission shifting problems on cold start ups...and some other stuff I can't remember right now, car got around 70k right now and has been trouble free for past....4 months *knocks on wood* :)

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,533 Posts
I bought an 05 E500 5matic Wagon at about that mileage. CPO car.
It has the Elegance package and almost every option except Distronic. I got it for $18,900.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
Our 2003 E500 has had no issues. 61,000 miles and still going. Only things were normal maintenance. Brake pad replacement, tires oil change etc. Jim
Update now at 93,000 miles.

How the picture has changed.

SBC brake failure
Rear air springs
Ball joints
AC fan
ignition key
door locks
arm rest bubble

Think $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts