Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say that until you try to do research on a different vehicle, you don't realize how good this forum is!

I have 3 other cars in the family (all GM), and use the forums related to those vehicles when needed. I can Never find the quality of response, details of repairs, or general knowledge and know how on the other forums.

I am changing a water pump on a Buick Lesabre today, and wanted to see if there were any shortcuts.... After an hour of searching the forums, I have yet to find a picture, a suggestion, or a single hint as to the best way to do this.

I ran the same search on this forum just to see what would come up. In 5 seconds, I had details that included what items Not to remove, what size bolts, etc...(I suspect that if I did a little more research here, I would probably find a full video!!:D )

Now I need to figure out how to replace all of my vehicles with Mercedes!!!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
Yes, and its even more impressive given the complexity, relative rareaty, and lack of readily available workshop manuals for our cars.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
I just wanted to say that until you try to do research on a different vehicle, you don't realize how good this forum is!

I have 3 other cars in the family (all GM), and use the forums related to those vehicles when needed. I can Never find the quality of response, details of repairs, or general knowledge and know how on the other forums.

I am changing a water pump on a Buick Lesabre today, and wanted to see if there were any shortcuts.... After an hour of searching the forums, I have yet to find a picture, a suggestion, or a single hint as to the best way to do this.

I ran the same search on this forum just to see what would come up. In 5 seconds, I had details that included what items Not to remove, what size bolts, etc...(I suspect that if I did a little more research here, I would probably find a full video!!:D )

Now I need to figure out how to replace all of my vehicles with Mercedes!!!

Thanks guys!

Especially the R129rs
Just like a big family.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoever said Mercedes were difficult to work on!

I am just venting today

I decided to help a friend with a 2003 Altima

All I want to do is change the spark plugs!!! I have never seen something so stupid!!!!!

Maintenance manual instructions for changing spark plugs.....

REMOVAL
1. Remove the engine cover, with power tool.
2. Drain engine coolant.:eek: Refer to MA-23, "DRAINING ENGINE COOLANT" .
3. Disconnect the mass air flow sensor electrical connector and remove the air cleaner assembly and air intake tubes. Refer to EM-119, "Removal and Installation" .
4. Remove the windshield wiper arms and motor assembly and the front cowl panel. Refer to EI-18,
"Removal and Installation" .
5. Remove the intake manifold collector:surrender:, gasket, and throttle body. Refer to EM-121, "Removal and Installation"
6. Remove the six ignition coils.
7. Remove the six spark plugs with a suitable tool.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
...I can Never find the quality of response, details of repairs, or general knowledge and know how on the other forums...
Couldn't agree more, CT. I think it has something to do with passion. The 107 boys are the same way.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Yes, and its even more impressive given the complexity, relative rareaty, and lack of readily available workshop manuals for our cars.
Hi Wayne, I'm not sure if you are aware of the fact that MB has released a EU version of the 'STAR R129 Service Manual on DVD' for hopefully your purchase. Please read the blue stickies for the new p/n.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I am just venting today

I decided to help a friend with a 2003 Altima

All I want to do is change the spark plugs!!! I have never seen something so stupid!!!!!

Maintenance manual instructions for changing spark plugs.....

REMOVAL
1. Remove the engine cover, with power tool.
2. Drain engine coolant.:eek: Refer to MA-23, "DRAINING ENGINE COOLANT" .
3. Disconnect the mass air flow sensor electrical connector and remove the air cleaner assembly and air intake tubes. Refer to EM-119, "Removal and Installation" .
4. Remove the windshield wiper arms and motor assembly and the front cowl panel. Refer to EI-18,
"Removal and Installation" .
5. Remove the intake manifold collector:surrender:, gasket, and throttle body. Refer to EM-121, "Removal and Installation"
6. Remove the six ignition coils.
7. Remove the six spark plugs with a suitable tool.
Why would you POSSIBLY have to do half that stuff just to change spark plugs???

That's insane.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would you POSSIBLY have to do half that stuff just to change spark plugs???

That's insane.
I agree Chris.
The intak manifold goes right over top of the back 3 plugs. There is absolutely no way to get them without taking it off!.

Figures the car would have a "misfire" on the back center plug...

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
In some cars plus you have to remove the mount tilt the engine with a special tool to get to the plugs.
Good day.

aam.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Wow and they said that the Porsche 911 was a difficult car to work on.
That Altima seems at least twice as difficult as the 911.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Especially the R129rs
Just like a big family.
Regards.
aam.
Benzworld is simply the BEST forum available for Mercedes. :thumbsup:
Tons of information, experience, and "good" drama. :D
Tons of sweet SLs! :eek:

Based on this forum alone,
They could probably make weekly movie episodes of our R129 family! :D

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
"As the wheels turn..." now premiering on ABC daytime...

:D

·
Registered
N/A
178 Posts
Wow and they said that the Porsche 911 was a difficult car to work on.
That Altima seems at least twice as difficult as the 911.

Cheers.
its fwd... all the crap is shoved in the front of the motor. easy & efficient for the factory to assemble, horrible for mechanics and DIY'ers to have to work on.

this is why i will never own a FWD car.

you need to drain the coolant because the intake manifold probably covers part of the motor, not uncommon especially if its a v6 altima.

i mean some of the steps are a no brainer, like removing the coilpacks. if you had spark plug wires, you'de have to remove those - so its essentially the same thing. removing the engine cover is again a minor thing, though i dont own any cars with engine covers (i think thats a joke). real motors should look pretty from the valve cover and not need an "engine cover"

as for removing the wipers/cowl....... well, you're on your own there.. that sounds silly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts