Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300se, 560sel
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my cat on my 300se. My crappy (Miller) aftermarket is rattling and warranty is out. Out of all the cat manufacturers, what seems to have a good build quality? I am going to cut and weld mine in. I did look into the Magnaflow series for about $90-$120. Any thoughts before I order?

Thx!

·
Registered
1995 E320 (totalled) 91 420SEL W126 (retired) 2002 S500 W220(retired); 2008 C300 Sport W204
662 Posts
From what I have read Magna Flow makes a good after market Cats.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I use them and I like them a lot.
On my Euro 500SEC I use a dual in and out high flow Cat and I use their dual in and out muffler too. I would imagine that their set up for a single exhaust would be of the same quality.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,444 Posts
Any major name brand should be fine but make sure that the cat you use is listed for the Benz. IIRC, you can put any cat on there you want but the manufacturer must list THAT cat for your car, which is what the emission clowns will ask when they do a visual on the car. It is as important that the papers say the right thing as actually getting the emissions down. Dumb, but California (NV is the same - just as dumb).

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Yeah! I forgot about that. The Blue Bird was Federalized in TX. so we put a 49 state high flow made for the Benz on. I asked why a 49 state and not a CA and he told me that my car was federal and not CA Emissions. Unfortunately both the 560's are CA emissions.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I was just talking with my Lotus Girl flight attendant yesterday in SFO. She was telling me some crap about that CA had passed new legislation the required that the part be listed as for the car or factory/OEM for the car. She was having trouble getting her Elan through the process because they wanted a CAT on it. The car was never offered in the US so there is no listing for it!!! CATCH F'ing 22!!!

She also told me that she just had a mandrel bender delivered to her shop (leased very reasonably) and she's about to make some custom stainless headers. She makes different kits for Lotus and showed me pics of a run of tailight valences she has stacked up ready to go out. She's got the TIG and all the other toys so we're going to make a date to do a dual exhaust set up on my AMG soon. She has done some other headers and she has been using stealth tactics to get them through smog with adding little bits here and there and trashing them through the dirt and adding some torch work to "age" them so they look like they've been there for a while. She has some other ideas that I will not discuss on a public forum ( uhhhhhuh :) )Sometimes I pinch myself knowing a girl who's a former model and has her own f'ing machine shop!!!

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Sometimes I pinch myself knowing a girl who's a former model and has her own f'ing machine shop!!!
I love that, and I bet she's packing heat too! (There's nothing sexier than a babe packing heat, IMHO)

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Cascade, you listening??

She's got the TIG and all the other toys so we're going to make a date to do a dual exhaust set up on my AMG soon. She has done some other headers and she has been using stealth tactics to get them through smog with adding little bits here and there and trashing them through the dirt and adding some torch work to "age" them so they look like they've been there for a while. She has some other ideas that I will not discuss on a public forum ( uhhhhhuh :) )Sometimes I pinch myself knowing a girl who's a former model and has her own f'ing machine shop!!!

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
YA THINK????:bowdown::bowdown::thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts