Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm internet shopping for a car, for the first time. It looks like I'm going to need to ship an e320 Wagon across the country to San Diego, but I'm also new to that.

I have found several shippers and I'm getting quotes. Have you shipped a car before? What advice would you give me...things to ask for, watch out for, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
We have cars shipped throughout the US all the time. Most of the shippers are good, have insurance and charge similiar prices. Based on the type of car, you wouldn't need a closed trailer, a car carrier will do just fine. Be patient, it could take as long as 2 weeks.

Good luck with your new purchase in beautiful San Diego!

Roncor

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
All I can add is that a friend just found an old Triumph he wants that is located in California, and he is in West Virginia. He was quoted $1200 by at least 2 different companies for shipment for between 2000 and 2500 miles.

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
I used DAS in the past with no issues. TX to CA like $560 That was for high mileage older car, so full protection wasn't an issue.
I would never have paid big money for the car I wouldn't see before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been quoted between $810 and $950 to ship from North Carolina to San Diego. I'm learning that one potential issue is "when the car is picked up"... x-country transit appears a 7-10 day deal.

I'm also looking at cars in Houston, from where I'd simply drive them home. 3 Days with time for dinner in San Antonio and beautiful downtown Yuma.

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
I don't know how much you earn in your job, but "between $810 and $950" buys nice vacation. With today's prices you can fly to most of the US in $200 range and inspect the car yourself before sinking. Round trip tickets cost like $40 more, so it is wise to have one.
Have to admit, that being Polish American I always try to stop at Chicago. The beer I can buy in CA for $2.50 is 89 cents there. The same with kielbasa i pierogi.
Did I mention I love vacations on the road?
BTW W210 can hold 16 cases of beer and about 200 lb of kielbasa even if you have a passenger.
Being alone I loaded 43 cases of beer in wagon.
In MB I make Chicago to San Francisco in 2 days regardless huge hangover.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I use DAS. They used to have an online instant quote on their website. They take a bit longer to get the car to you than others, but they are cheaper. It took them 2 weeks to get my 911 from FL to MI but they cost half as much as the other carriers. They also have a tracking system so you can see where the vehicle is. The car actually sat at their site for 10 days before being picked up. Once they got it moving, it got here pretty fast.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
I've used DAS and Minuteman among others. Had decent experiences but always used a closed carrier. Any old truck can get caught in a sandstorm out west. Or a hailstorm just about anywhere.

However, I'd also recommend taking more time and finding a car near you. California's full of em ya know ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts