Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I've seen some very useful info on this site and decided it was time to join.

I hope nobody minds me revising this redundant thread with a slightly different problem for my W140.

The seat squabs for this car are interchangeable and in buying a second hand passenger squab to replace my somewhat crunched drivers, I failed to realise that the replacement did not have the heating element. It must have been an option on some W140s which surprises me.

Anyway, my question is, how is the leather removed from the sqaub to enable me to transfer the element. The foam base has an aperture for the element cable. Older cars just had the leather clipped on, but the squab as photo is a much neater job. Is it just a case of slipping those central nylon tabs back through the holes in the matting and the whole thing loosens.?

Attachments

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
Anyway, my question is, how is the leather removed from the squab to enable me to transfer the element. The foam base has an aperture for the element cable. Older cars just had the leather clipped on, but the squab as photo is a much neater job. Is it just a case of slipping those central nylon tabs back through the holes in the matting and the whole thing loosens?
Why not just trade your passenger squab to the drivers side and put the newly purchased squab (w/o the heater element) on the passenger side?

It usually takes a automotive seat repair shop to do a really good job of R&Ring the leather.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - but I suspect my wife would not be too pleased if I took away her comfort in the UK cold winter.
The fact that the leather seems to go around an internal frame suggests that release of it can't be too complicated. But perhaps it is??
Hoping to discover someone who's given it a try to replace a faulty heater element .

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
Thanks for that - but I suspect my wife would not be too pleased if I took away her comfort in the UK cold winter.
The fact that the leather seems to go around an internal frame suggests that release of it can't be too complicated. But perhaps it is??
Hoping to discover someone who's given it a try to replace a faulty heater element .
As was mentioned you may also have a problem with the passenger seat air bag/child seat sensor as well.

Edit: I'm going to move several of the posts pertaining to your Topic to the W140 forum so that they can help you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Post move - makes sense.

I had the drivers seat out a couple of months ago and before I realised that it had to be aligned to a particular position to undo the four bolts which secure the squab. Put it back and felt I needed to rethink this. There is no evidence of a sensor for the Airbag sticking out of this s/hand squab from a 98 Car which I would guess that there should be. Nothing has been cut off.

The hole position for what I thought was the heating element pad cable is to one side and I haven't checked to see if this would be a problem vis a vis the connecting block at the front. I can't imagine that MB would have made left and right squabs where there is no obvious shape difference for say the seat belt clip.

Still will be interested if anyone has removed the leather and matting from the frame for whatever reason..

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
well i have my seats out figuring ill change my air bladders... after some starring ( i havent looked at wis) these have to be the worst seats to work on i've ever seen. internally anyway.

took motors out etc for fun, but as far as getting the actual supports/foam/leather apart it is getting on my nerves. if i happen to figure it out (im still not looking at wis because i like a challenge now and then) in short order i'll let you know. if you get it done first, let us know.

ps. my seats are 60kg each.. at least.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ps. my seats are 60kg each.. at least.
They certainly are back breakers and I have a history of severe back problems so hoping not to have to take out complete seat again but align holes for sqaub removal in the car. Don't have WIS as can't get the b** to load after what seemed like an interminable process.

Good luck with the bolster. I haven't squeezed those nylon clips to see if when they go back through the matting holes the whole seat becomes loose. Thought I'd find out from someone before possibly doing some harm. Makes sense that the whole thing is compressed by the manufacturer and held by the clips as I cant see any other way of releasing the pad from the frame

1 - 7 of 7 Posts