Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ML320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm kind of puzzle if I should upgrade my OEM 17" rims on my ML320 to either 19" or 20". I'm concerning the ride quality as most of my time, my wife and two kids sits inside the car very often. Also, the rims I'm looking for is Brabus Replica Monoblock VI and the size is 19x8.5" or 20x8.5". Please shed your expertize to ease my headache.

I personally like the 22" the most but it is indeed too big for my ride and the engine performance will be sllugish like hell.

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
The difference between ride on a 19 and 20 on this vehicle is almost nothing when comparing these 2 sizes. Also the cost will probably be the same and probably more in 19" size since 20" tires are so common in Truck / SUV sizes that they are cheaper as they are more mass produced and there are several tire mfgr's competing for sales. The only SUV/Trucks using 19" are mostly X5 and Cayennes. The most common onroad size upgrades for SUV/TRUCK is 18, 20, and 22". 19" is rare if not a car, i would just get the 20" set up which IMO is not that harsh and you still have a descent meaty bone tire.

22" is so awkward on ML, you will definitely feel the massive weight and size difference. I would recommend a big brake set up for safety reasons. It does cool, but there are several sacrifices to be made with big bling set ups.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
ML Matt - 4/27/2005 2:47 AM

Guys,

I'm kind of puzzle if I should upgrade my OEM 17" rims on my ML320 to either 19" or 20". I'm concerning the ride quality as most of my time, my wife and two kids sits inside the car very often. Also, the rims I'm looking for is Brabus Replica Monoblock VI and the size is 19x8.5" or 20x8.5". Please shed your expertize to ease my headache.

I personally like the 22" the most but it is indeed too big for my ride and the engine performance will be sllugish like hell.
I would NOT GO HIGHER than 18" if you are primarily transporting the family.

I had 18" and actually dropped down to 17" with much improved steering feel and comfort.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
roadsession - 4/27/2005 12:16 PM

ML Matt - 4/27/2005 2:47 AM

Guys,

I would NOT GO HIGHER than 18" if you are primarily transporting the family.

I had 18" and actually dropped down to 17" with much improved steering feel and comfort.
Agree on the 18s. I had Lorinsers (18x10s w/ 285/50s) that rode very well. Tires are much more reasonable, as well. They are also more in keeping with the truck orientation of the W163 and are not overly bling, IMO.

·
Registered
ML320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you guys comment and input. I did think of 18" but since my rims came with 17" whereby, an inch up shouldn't make the look a big difference and it is not worth for the investment IMO.

Please advise what tire size I should prefer if the rims size are going to be 20"x8.5" ??

Now, I can make up my mind more clearly, I either jumped for 20" since there is no major difference between 20" and 19" in terms of ride quality and performance. Or else, I shall save the money and stick with my OEM 17".

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
ML Matt - 4/27/2005 11:34 PM

Thanks for you guys comment and input. I did think of 18" but since my rims came with 17" whereby, an inch up shouldn't make the look a big difference and it is not worth for the investment IMO.

Please advise what tire size I should prefer if the rims size are going to be 20"x8.5" ??

Now, I can make up my mind more clearly, I either jumped for 20" since there is no major difference between 20" and 19" in terms of ride quality and performance. Or else, I shall save the money and stick with my OEM 17".
save money - stay with oem 17" and get the best tires you can 275 55 17 (michelin cross terrains come to mind)

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Be advised that these big flashy wheels will SERIOUSLY compromise the handling and smoothness of the ride. You just end up looking like a fool with money to burn.

DelJ

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
ML Matt - 4/27/2005 8:34 PM

The big difference you can make with 18s is to go wider, like 18 x 10. If you like at the photo of my '98 you can see 285s are seriously meaty, totally changing the appearance of the truck. The width makes a bigger difference than diameter, IMO.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
ML Matt - 4/27/2005 8:34 PM

The big difference you can make with 18s or 19s is to go wider, like 18 x 10. If you like at the photo of my '98 you can see 285s are seriously meaty, totally changing the appearance of the truck. The width makes a bigger difference than diameter, IMO.

·
Registered
2002 ML55
624 Posts
Save yourself the headache, get the 20's I debated about this for a long time but I think as someone else pointed out its far easier to find the 20" tires vs the 19's.

·
Registered
2002 ML55
624 Posts
Sorry have to disagree here, sure cheap wheels will look like crap no doubt about that. Chrome is down right annoying but if you look for brands such as HRE/Iforged/Lorinser you can get a wheel that will look ten times better than stock and ride damn near (not exactly) the same.

I believe 22's are overkill on the ML, but 20's are no issue. I'm constantly flagged down by other ML owners trying to figure out what I have on my truck (Iforged), even the dealer loves my wheels.

DelJ - 4/28/2005 10:59 AM

Be advised that these big flashy wheels will SERIOUSLY compromise the handling and smoothness of the ride. You just end up looking like a fool with money to burn.

DelJ

·
Registered
ML320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to admit the fact that, 20" looks cool on the ML. Once again, I will stick with my OEM 17" if for some reason I can only jumped to 18". An inch up in my mind shouldn't make a hell of difference even with wider tires.

However, I can only afford replica rims and I'm wondering if anyone shopped at the velocity motoring before ?? Are their products are good in quality ??

Here is the their web site ;

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels.html

Please shed me the light if I should get the VM1 or VM6 after you looked at the sytle ???

Million thanks, folks.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
ML Matt - 4/28/2005 11:04 PM

I have to admit the fact that, 20" looks cool on the ML. Once again, I will stick with my OEM 17" if for some reason I can only jumped to 18". An inch up in my mind shouldn't make a hell of difference even with wider tires.

However, I can only afford replica rims and I'm wondering if anyone shopped at the velocity motoring before ?? Are their products are good in quality ??

Here is the their web site ;

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels.html

Please shed me the light if I should get the VM1 or VM6 after you looked at the sytle ???

Million thanks, folks.
I had 18" wheels but moved to 17" because my wife couldn't stand the worsened ride in this part of the country (Boston has awful roads).

Because I have a ML320 I think the suspension is somewhat less beefy than the ML55 which comes with 18" wheels.

Anyway the higher unsprung weight with the 18" wheels and tires made the suspension much less compliant and the truck much more 'truckish' in ride.
I would probably have stayed with 18" wheels or even moved to 19" wheels if I lived somewhere where the roads are very smooth.

Changing back to 17" has made it much more car like.

see post:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1204752&posts=11&hl=wheels

1 - 14 of 14 Posts