Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 190D 2.5 and 1999 C240T Elegance
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 1986 series one 190D.. Im on the lookout for a series 2 car which I can swap over the body cladding and dig out some other stuff I need. Have any of you swapped over the body cladding? Is it fairly easy to do?

Have you been happy with the overall result or do you regret not sticking to its "originality"?

I personally love the series 2 look of the 201 series, I think it looks brilliant. Id love to keep my car for as long as I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
you must have owned Land Rovers before, lol.

When you take off the body molding strips on the early model, the clips for the updated cladding slide into the existing holes, and then the cladding just snaps on. The cladding on the doors get two screws each in the same places the old door strips had them. The hardest part will probably be replacing the rear bumper, but even that is easy (and done from inside the trunk, not under the car)

I highly prefer the face lift cars over the early ones. and if you have all the pieces and all the clips already, it should take you less than an hour to do it all.

FYI, you will have to change the rear bumper with the cladding, but you dont have to change the front, unless you like the facelift style better

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3 8v
154 Posts
It's not hard to do at all......just try to keep track of which clips come from where.....you will have to drill the side skirts in on the bottom......i just used some self tappers there...alot of clips will break, try to salvage as many as possible. alot of clips are accessible from inside, so you can remove without breaking. then try to find any and alll replacement clips online because a full set from the dealer is around $275. everything fits perfect. the bumpers are the easiest bumpers i have ever removed.i have some clip part #'s and info theres probably 8 different kinds and EPC isnt very clear on which is which, PM me if you really want to do it, i can help a lil.....

with all that being said i kinda miss my pre-cladding mercedes........you dont see many of them around....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts