Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed clear film on the C36. So far I have done the hood fenders and the lights. Hopefully today I'll get around to doing the front bumper. In anycase I was not able to find a precut kit for the car so i had to use bulk film and cut it to match the car. I have the film on three of my other cars and it is well worth having.

Taken at an angle so it appears in the photo. In reality it is virtually invisible

·
Registered
99 c230k
171 Posts
where do you find this film? is it something that just about anyone could apply? im getting a paint job here right away, nice to not have to worry about rock chips which seems to be so common.

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can find the bulk material on eBay which ranges from the 3M branded material to "who knows". For this trial run I bought the "who knows" variety and it is about $2.25 per foot with a 24" width. I have done s few installs of pre-cut kits on my other cars so I have gotten a "feel" for how the film behaves. For tis application I cut the film on the car which can be a bit nerving. The film is 8 mils thick and if you scre the film it will tear away so even though it looks like I'm cutting the paint in the pic...I'm mearly scoring the surface.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Nice Job!

Looks SWEET!!!

You do some fine work. How long after fresh paint can you apply the film?

C as in 220:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
I have this on my 280, it was installed more than 10 years ago (must have been prety expensive back then) and it is still going good, accept a few parts that have come loose so I just cut them off. I'm thinking about doing a new bra soon.
Btw: the stuff I have acts as sort a a "rubber" so the bra itself never gets chipped.
Great stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts