Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the new cross terrains on last evening. Are they ever fantastic! I decided to purchase 265/75 R16’s. I have read in other posts that the ride would be a bit harsher however I found the exact opposite. Up here in the north we have SERIOUS potholes. I don’t know if it’s softer rubber or more give in the tires but the ride is WAY smoother! The spedo being out… well now I just drive the exact speed limit and the oversize tires will automatically put me 13% over, less math to do while driving. Special thanks to Wolfgang and all the great tire info on his page!!! I also bought a (1.5)X 40 HEX metric bolt and cut the end off for assisting with switching the tires. It made it so easy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Swizzles - 4/21/2005 1:02 PM

Put the new cross terrains on last evening. Are they ever fantastic! I decided to purchase 265/75 R16’s. I have read in other posts that the ride would be a bit harsher however I found the exact opposite. Up here in the north we have SERIOUS potholes. I don’t know if it’s softer rubber or more give in the tires but the ride is WAY smoother! The spedo being out… well now I just drive the exact speed limit and the oversize tires will automatically put me 13% over, less math to do while driving. Special thanks to Wolfgang and all the great tire info on his page!!! I also bought a (1.5)X 40 HEX metric bolt and cut the end off for assisting with switching the tires. It made it so easy!!
Thanks for the report. Added your comments in the offroad tire section.

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
Swizzles - 4/21/2005 4:02 PM
I also bought a (1.5)X 40 HEX metric bolt and cut the end off for assisting with switching the tires. It made it so easy!!
Swizzles/Wolfgang - What is the bolt for?

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no studs sticking out of the hub to assist in putting the tires on. The surface is almost smooth. It is a bit tricky to hold up the tire, align the holes and stick the bolt through. With the standard bolt (Big end cut off) you can screw it into the hole on the hub. You then have something to hang the tire off of and align the bolt holes. Lastly you unscrew the blank bolt and replace with another wheel stud. For the $1.15 it cost for the bolt it was well worth it!

I have read that there is a plastic lug bolt that is available to assist with this as well. I didn’t have one so I improvised.

Picture is just borrowed from another post for visual purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
I put a set 275 55 17 of Michelin x terrains on order.
The overwhelmingly positive opinions of this tire is hard to ignore.

Everyone tells me it changes the personality of the truck into a more car/compliant ride.

I assume it sucks in heavy duty off road conditions though.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,135 Posts
Those look rugged!

I'm sure the bolt works fine for mounting assistance, but I believe M-B sells a "wheel hanger" through the parts department for a few bucks.

The best one, though, comes from The Ultimate Garage. It's finely crafted in stainless stool with a knurled and slotted end. A joy to use. I've got a BMW and a Mercedes one.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/whlhgr.html

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Unfortunatley, Mercedes does not offer a wheel hanger for the M-class. They do have a smaller one for the sedans but not the larger size required for the M-class.

I made my own wheel hanger out of a 14mm x 1.5mm x 120mm bolt. Just cut off the bolt head and also cut off some of bolt thread so that the wheel slides over the smooth portion of the bolt shaft. Works great.

DelJ

GregW / Oregon - 4/22/2005 8:38 AM

I'm sure the bolt works fine for mounting assistance, but I believe M-B sells a "wheel hanger" through the parts department for a few bucks.

The best one, though, comes from The Ultimate Garage. It's finely crafted in stainless stool with a knurled and slotted end. A joy to use. I've got a BMW and a Mercedes one.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/whlhgr.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts