Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the batterie terminals were put on wrong way on a 88 190e , stupid error, and the worse part is when the engine turned on it started to smoke. now i need to know what smoked? the computer or im guessing some wire? so the stater goes engine turns over, but nothing. anyideas? maybe the fuel pump? im running out of ideas. thank you

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Ladybee.

Did you connect the battery poles the wrong way, or did someone connect jump-start cables the wrong way?

The former condition is a lot less worse than the latter.

Connecting jump cables the wrong way is quite common but a very unfortunate situation. The smoke probably came from the generator. I'm surprised that the car started in that condition.

Try to take a plug out and connect the cable. Hold the spark plug to ground and see if a spark occurs.

If it doesn't check the coil.

If it does, check your engine management ECU first.

Good luck.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
With the battery terminal now properly oriented, what electrical systems function? Probably all of them except starting the engine. I'd first check the OVP relay, located behind the false wall in back of the battery. It has a safety fuse built onto the top of the relay, check to see if that has burnt out. After that, it's just a matter of ruling out the different engine circuits, like the ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, etc.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
2LiveNDieInLA - 3/8/2005 7:36 AM

if you reversed the teminals. the starter motor turned the other way.
If the starter turned the wrong way, then you could quite easily have bent your valves as the chain will have gone slack.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
If the starter is spinning in reverse, it won't engage the flywheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts