Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 W201 01 996
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change from the auto HVAC buttons to rotary HVAC control setup?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
It is possible but not advisable as the controls are completely different. I believe you have to change out the core. I know a guy on here who has a true Euro 500 SEC (I examined the VIN's myself) and he I noticed it had the US setup. I quizzed him and he immediately said he had changed it. I asked him if he would help me switchover mine to Euro and he said yes, but we have yet to plan it. I intended to post a thread on it if I do it. BTW - The rotary is automatic too. Just a different style.

Do you have the A/C Manuals? I have them both in paper book and on disk. If you really are serious, I can send you the manuals and you can see what's involved. You basically have to take out your entire dash. I only took half of mine out during my restoration and that was a bitch. I stopped at doing the A/C because you have to change the core.

As far as I know

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
It is possible I know a guy on here who has a true Euro 500 SEC (I examined the VIN's myself) and he I noticed it had the US setup. I quizzed him and he immediately said he had changed it.
Really? :confused:

That's an enormous amount of work. :eek:

The Automatic Climate Control units were available as an option in Europe.

·
Registered
87 W201 01 996
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is possible but not advisable as the controls are completely different. I believe you have to change out the core. I know a guy on here who has a true Euro 500 SEC (I examined the VIN's myself) and he I noticed it had the US setup. I quizzed him and he immediately said he had changed it. I asked him if he would help me switchover mine to Euro and he said yes, but we have yet to plan it. I intended to post a thread on it if I do it. BTW - The rotary is automatic too. Just a different style.

Do you have the A/C Manuals? I have them both in paper book and on disk. If you really are serious, I can send you the manuals and you can see what's involved. You basically have to take out your entire dash. I only took half of mine out during my restoration and that was a bitch. I stopped at doing the A/C because you have to change the core.

As far as I know
...thanks for the reply. I knew there was some work involved but not to that degree!! My HVAC works fine for now but I know for sure if it gives up the ghost...this plan will be in effect...lol.. tks again.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
enormous may even be a bit of an understatement :p

I'd sooner sell the car you have and find one w/ the manual klima from the factory..you'll be WORLDS ahead that way.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Really? :confused:

That's an enormous amount of work. :eek:

The Automatic Climate Control units were available as an option in Europe.
Yes Jono I know. I said that to him and I even took pics of it to confirm it because I noticed it immediately. It was Glaring. The VIN plate was typical Euro "WDB126....." and yet it had US CC controls. I got a pic of the VIN but not the console.

I am supposed to see him again, I will take pics and try to get more info. But I asked him if he removed the heater core and he said yes. I said that must have been a bitch. He said "YES!"

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
My Euro 500SEC came with the Auto A/C, an option on the build sheet.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
Where would you find the zebrano panel and the controls? I don't even see any on German Ebay.

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
They are there. US eBay too. They are useless without changing the harness AND the core. You would have to buy a Euro heater/AC core and harness and swap them out. That is what that guy Franco said he did. I specifically asked him this. I have a call in to him and I will ask him to provide more details.

Hey, I want my car to be a True "Euro" with the Rotary Knob Auto A/C too, and I have had my car down pretty far, but that's "Over-The-Top" crazy mods.. I have had my car down pretty far, and I do not think I would want to go that far down. You would have to remove the ENTIRE dash. All of it. Completely disassemble all of the Vacuum pods and re-do that. I mean I have the books, and I am an Engineer, and I have already had my down to all but the dash, and I'm scared of doing it.

About the Zebrano, I do not know as I have Burl in both my cars. I do have the part numbers though in the parts catalog and you can probably order it through. I say probably because there are like 20 different ones depending on options and switch count. If you post a pic of yours I can tell you which one you would need.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
And they lurk in Euro cars all over...
I just bought a huge box of Gen I Euro 500SEc parts and this arrived in the box. It is in very good condition. Only 2 minute hairline cracks about 1/16-1/8 long in the lower right corner just above the radio surround and the one you can see between the first two switches on the top row. All the top row switches are intact. the bottom switches are just the knobs and the circulation switch body. Sorry no A/C control unit.

PM me if interested. I cannot use it and it's too good to keep the switches and scrap the rest. It is Burl Wood.

·
Registered
87 W201 01 996
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And they lurk in Euro cars all over...
I just bought a huge box of Gen I Euro 500SEc parts and this arrived in the box. It is in very good condition. Only 2 minute hairline cracks about 1/16-1/8 long in the lower right corner just above the radio surround and the one you can see between the first two switches on the top row. All the top row switches are intact. the bottom switches are just the knobs and the circulation switch body. Sorry no A/C control unit.

...wow that setup looks so much cleaner and practical...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
I'd like to see an electrical schematic for the euro spec 'maunal' controls. I suspect that there must be some control module, as many of the switches appear momentary.

As for needing to replace the core, I take it that the us 126 has only a single heater core?

In the 123, the heater core is a dual core already, and it's 'T'ed' together to eliminate the passenger control option.

It's funny that the 'simpler' controls give you dual zone controls and the fancy automatic unit deletes that possibility.

I HATE automatic climate control. I'd like to choose my own fan speed, and where the air comes out.

Getting by the wrong core would make it tough to retrofit anything. In the 123 it was fairly straight forward. I just did everything electronically. I used the manual controls for the hot water valves, and used electronic vacuum switchover valves and mechanical switches and relays to control everything. It was reliable for the entire time I owned the vehicle.

The system in my 126 is showing sings of failure. I've taken apart the controller and soldered everything. That did not help. Randomly, it'll just go to heat in defrost mode, which I guess is a default for safety... it's not safe.

Last year in a bad rain storm something went awry, and at 70 MPH, all of the windows fogged up and I almost wrecked. Visibility was poor to begin with, and I should have probably been going slower. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I could not see any traffic, no lights, nothing. I got over and had to find the shoulder by feel. It 'fixed' itself after shutting off and restarting the car.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
The only control switch on the panel that has to do with the A/C/ control is the heat/snowflake switch in the center top. it is two position: heat (top) A/C (bottom) right to left , top row are: Rear reading lamp (On Off),Sun Roof(Momentary open/close) Warning blinker (on/off),Heat/A/C, Two Tone horn (2 position), and the rear window defroster switch (timed on/off).

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
I have the full A/C Book in Book form and I think it's on CD too. The book I have been going through and no Euro Schematics. Not too sure on the CD. It is, I tell you, going to be a BITCH! Don't even think this is a day or weekend job. I am sure that Jono and JohnWhite99 and Markus and a few others could do it. I probably could and I am an Elec. Engineer and Comp Engineer and I'm scared to do it and like I said, I had my car down jus short of the dash.

I have an A/C problem now where it works fine, but the Center Vent does not open at sertain times. Once the car cools down (Finally after an hour) then it opens. I do not know if it is a vacuum issue or a sensor issue. The A/C is a difficult beast...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts