Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of basically being too poor to own anything decent im finally able to get my benz i've wanted since childhood, its a black 2002 s500 with light gray leather and wood wheel and wood shifter. You guys seem very knowledgeable and any info would help.

My first question is about the tires. I want to put wheels on it that will look just right. I like the dropped look where the car sits right on top of the rims- could i get something similar by just putting 20" or 22" wheels on it? Also, how easy is it too drop a car yourself? Beyond changing tires and oil i know absolutley nothing about cars. How much does it usually cost to allow a shop to do the job right?

Also, any recommendations on cleaning tips would be appreciated ie., wax , soap.

Suggestions for any aftermarket modifications would be nice as well.

I would also love to see pictures of anyones 500.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, GS, and welcome to the forum.

And CONGRATULATIONS! Excellent first benz.

You're probably going to get lots better information if you repost in the W220 forum, which is the native forum for your car. Lots of guys running 20s, pics, etc.

That said, if all you do is change wheels, you're not going to really do anything to the gap. As you increase wheel size you lose sidewall height; if you just stick a tire and wheel combo in that fills the gap it will hit everywhere and not turn. :) If you want the slammed/dropped look, you have to do that with lowering springs. And if you lower very much at all you have to put in special shocks, too. So if you're not a serious DIY guy, that is not a simple job, leave it to the pros.

You didn't say where you live, but there are good performance shops in every major market in the US. Between parts (springs, sport shocks, pads maybe), labor and an alignment, you're looking at somewhere in the $700-800 range, perhaps more, depending on the parts you want and how expensive labor is in your area.

Take care and enjoy the new ride!
Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I live near houston so ill be able to find a shop, under a $1000 is affordable and was what i was hoping to hear. I must say that i went through hell trying to get this car- my credit is bad and since my 1 and only car just broke i didn have time to save my down payment to a respectable #. I actually wanted a newer model s600, im planning on getting 1 next year as im currently fixing my credit. Im leaving work early tomorrow to pick it up and havent been this excited since the birth of my daughter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts