Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I WILL be purchasing an SLK32 from a private party out in California or Montana. Do any of you have any advice re: dealing with a private party like this? The car is at a dealership right now; they will call me later today with the results of the buyer's inspection. Assuming that goes well and we move forward, the seller will produce and have notarized a bill of sale for me. I will send a check or wire the funds and as soon as they have cleared he will send me the title and authorize the dealership to release the car from the dealership. I've never done this before and some of this sounds like I'm being a little too trustworthy. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
guido23 - 5/10/2005 3:55 PM

Do you have a ballpark for how much escrow services usually cost? My understanding was that they were expensive.
Have no idea. May be 100-500$ ? Call a layer from yellow pages or check with your bank.

Also don't go for online escrow services - some of them are setup by scammers.

·
Registered
B6
1,078 Posts
This is just my opinion but I prefer going through a local dealer. I'd rather pay a few thousand dollars more and have someone who could fix any problems I had with a short drive. Also I can physically inspect the car and take it to one of my trusted mechanics for a look over.

I am a bit biased about buying from a out of province/state dealer just because some friends have had some real nightmares from buying cars off ebay.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
you can also may consider flying there for weekend - should cost you more than 500$ - will give you a nice weekend getaway and you will be there to check the car and exchange funds\title - that's what i would do.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Make sure you get a Carfax and Repair history. If everything checks out I would buy a roundtrip ticket to go pick the car up. If it is not as expected use the other ticket to fly home. If it does check out consider it cheap insurance.

As far as purchasing from out of state or locally if the car is under warranty it does not matter. Your local dealer will fix any mechanicle issues.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
I sold my car on Ebay, the guy flew down from Conneticut without even seeing the car, paid me CASH on hand and drove back....8 hours of drive in a Lifted Jeep...talk about pain in the @ss LoL

and i bought my car out of state as well, in virginia. went to see the car first time, liked it, went down second time to pay and dropped the price by a grand and took it home :)

i stole the car [:D]...Lets just say, I sold my 2001 Jeep for MORE than what I bought my Benz for. and Benz is worth more by several thousands of dollars

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Remote buying is gambling, many states have different title laws and reporting standards (some don't require crash reports).

I once sold a car through the newspaper to a remote buyer, in my state, but a distance away. They drove out with a cashier's check in hand for the full price of my car, no haggling. That transaction worked out, but I believe it was mostly due to my honesty, not the buyers.

I agree with the partner above about flying out & checking yourself. I don't trust dealerships that haven't proven themselves to me first. As good as their promises sound, nothing beats your personal opinion and seeing/driving the car beforehand. I would also stress getting a certified carfax, at least to cover you in case something is missing in the report.

Now if you are a multi-millionaire and don't care if you lose or not, then buying remotely, sight unseen, may be worth a gamble. I still believe it is possible to find a nice slk closer than California. You can get some low fare flights out to the west coast, and the small expense may save you BIG bucks in the long run. 2-cents[:)]

·
Registered
53 Posts
i don't understand why people make these transactions so complicated. there is one very simple way to make sure that everything goes well... buy the car in person, hand over a cashier's check, receive the title in return. in person. the cost of an airline ticket should be pretty negligible compared to the peace of mind it will give you. services like ebay etc are great for introducing buyers and sellers, but i think the transactions should still be face to face to protect both parties. i've bought and sold cars this way and never had a problem.

...j

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Just be careful with the Cashiers Check, lots of fake ones out there.

That being said last car I sold the guy drove from Chicago to Atlanta to pick up the car. No fuss, no muss.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Yes - don't trust cashier checks at all. Get some green cash. Don't trust with wiring money to your bank account - because as soon as they'll get your bank account info they will wire money out.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Guido they have an SLK32 at MB Sugarland if you want to look for other sources. Silver/Black.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts