Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all MB Forum members, I am planning to buy a 2001 C240 Elegence 6-spd in Vancouver, Canada. Only 14,000 km and garage kept.

I reallly like the looks of car - only quible is the instrument cluster - tach is way to small!

I just finished reading 30 forum pages here to see what kind of problems owners have had with the car, listed as follows:
-pulls to the right
-replace lower control arms due to creeking noise
-smart key failures
-recall on fuel pump
-driver's seat shakes and becomes lose
-"fatal error display": BAS & EPS
-faulty turn signal sockets
-leaky window washer fuild tank

and one mb forum member said: "can't say enough bad things about this car... 20 defects in 12 months, 12 trips to the dealer"

I plan to keep & drive this car for about 8 years. Is this going to be a trouble free car for me and reliable or is this car a lemon? (i.e. www.lemonmb.com) I don't want to pay $40,000 for a lemon.

I read that Consumer's Report changed its rating on this car from "Recommended" to a no longer recommended status.

Your guidence and experience is much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dan, there is no question that overall the C has had some quality control issues. Anyone ...

Dan, there is no question that overall the C has had some quality control issues. Anyone who tells you otherwise is blinded by the glint of the Star on the hood.

That being said, there seems to be a smallish group of problems that afflict a lot of the cars. The keys being one of the biggest. My C240 has been in the shop a bunch of times (almost all related to electronics), but hopefully it is sorted out now.

Here's the thing: Buying a new one is kind of a crap shoot. You may have total reliability (odds are against it), a few minor problems (most cars), or a total lemon (lowish odds, but as you have seen, possible).

But, for a used car, you are kind of at an advantage. All of the work that has been done on it will have been recorded. I would think that with the owner's permission, you could access the records. I think that will tell you the story. If it has a nightmare record of service, I'd stay away. But, if it looks pretty clean, you are probably looking at a good car, and I'd go for it!

·
Registered
C 220 CDI w203
8 Posts
Problems in European C Class

Here, we have the same sort of problems:

- Pulls to the right (Tech's say's it's about the new Mc phersons front sistem like the new E-class)

-Smart Key (microelectronic failure)

-Seat's (too many adjustements)

-Fatal error ESP + BAS (socket connections & software)

There it's the comments in Europe (Spain)... But the another cars?

(BAD ENGLISH)SORRY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 C240 - a few final questions...

Thanks for your speedy responses...

Visited the dealer in Vancouver today where the car was purchased, one of the salesmen was just in the process of delivering a 2003 C240 4matic Classic to a client, it was a base model = CAD$55,000 with taxes (ouch!), not even alloy wheels. It was right beside a silver C32 AMG which sells for CAD$85,000 - looked awesome with the new front headlights and tires/alloys. He actually remembered selling the car I'm looking at buy, since it was purchased at his dealership & he was the salesman.

He felt the price CAD$36,500 was ok, considering the low mileage and that it was an elegence model and since it was a private sale only one tax would be charged (tax is 14.5% at a dealer in BC!!!) He warned though that a 6-speed would be hard to resell in the future... mentioned under 10% of c class sales were manual. Also the colour doesn't seem to be too popular - it's the metallic burgundy (magma red or something like that?) - I kinda like the colour though, especially with the tan interior.

I feel there is some comfort in that there is still 2 years warranty on the car, so hopefully they can sort out the bugs there.

A few last questions...
1. What level octane gas is recommended -- 89 or 91?

2. How much are simple things like an oil change and does it void the warranty if you take the car to a third party for oil changes?

3. This model does not have the fold-down rear seats... can it be converted to fold down?

4. Where can I get a good price on a roof rack for a Benz?

thanks again,
Dan

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
1. 91 octane is recommended.

2. I can't say how much it would cost in you area, but...

1. 91 octane is recommended.

2. I can't say how much it would cost in you area, but where I am an oil change is US$ 78.40. The answer to the second question should be in the warranty booklet.

3. I've read this is either not possible or very difficult.

4. So far as I know, the only roof rack the one MB sells.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Dan...

Ahh, another Vancouverite, welcome!!

He felt the price CAD$36,500 was ok, considering the low mileage and that it was an elegence model and since it was a private sale only one tax would be charged (tax is 14.5% at a dealer in BC!!!) He warned though that a 6-speed would be hard to resell in the future... mentioned under 10% of c class sales were manual. Also the colour doesn't seem to be too popular - it's the metallic burgundy (magma red or something like that?) - I kinda like the colour though, especially with the tan interior.
The colour that you described is Bordeaux Red, and with the Java interior. Yes, it is very rare, so you will have a unique vehicle. This is the colour combination that i have as well actually. Yes, the taxes so stink, but remember that brand new cars are subject to the extra 3% luxury tax (PST) so it hurts even more!

I feel there is some comfort in that there is still 2 years warranty on the car, so hopefully they can sort out the bugs there.
You can also purchase the extended warranty for up to another 3 years past the factory warranty.

A few last questions...
1. What level octane gas is recommended -- 89 or 91?
91 octane is <b>required</b>, not just recommended.

2. How much are simple things like an oil change and does it void the warranty if you take the car to a third party for oil changes?
Oil changes are easy to do, and you can do them yourself if you wish. Remember that the Service A/B involve more than just oil changes as well. These service intervals are double that of ordinary vehicles (10-20K kilometres), so you end up paying less in the end, even though the service may cost more up front.

3. This model does not have the fold-down rear seats... can it be converted to fold down?
Probably but it would be cost prohibitive.

4. Where can I get a good price on a roof rack for a Benz?
Your dealer would have one which is specifically designed for the car, but you can try Rack Attack opposite Lougheed Acura. They seem to have good prices as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subwoofer....

Drew,

Thanks for your comments...

Have owned the car for a week now and am enjoying it. Having fun learning all the gadgets on car and found the Road Test article written on the C240 Classic interesting - believe it was written by another fellow Vancouverite (home of the 2010 Winter Olympics [8D]) Andrew Ling.

Found an authentic C Class roof rack on e-bay and snapped it up quickly the other day so that was nice.

Taking the car into the dealer on Thursday to get the squeaky driver's seat fixed (apparently the previous owner had the part on hold at the dealer for install)

Averaged 8.2L of gas (octane 91) per 100km on a recent highway stint... not bad...

Quick question about stock subwoofer... is this easy to upgrade?

Also heard the car has fiberoptic cabling in it... what components is this used for?

Attachments

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Heh...

Have owned the car for a week now and am enjoying it. Having fun learning all the gadgets on car and found the Road Test article written on the C240 Classic interesting - believe it was written by another fellow Vancouverite (home of the 2010 Winter Olympics [8D]) Andrew Ling.
I wrote the road test article [:D]. I live in Coquitlam actually. Whereabouts are you?

Taking the car into the dealer on Thursday to get the squeaky driver's seat fixed (apparently the previous owner had the part on hold at the dealer for install)
West Broadway I assume?

Quick question about stock subwoofer... is this easy to upgrade?
Only the Bose system has the subwoofer. Does your car have it? If so, you'll see the BOSE logo on the rear parcel shelf speakers. If you have a firstaid kit in there, then you definitely don't have the Bose.

Also heard the car has fiberoptic cabling in it... what components is this used for?
CD changer connection, headunit connections basically. This is not something you'd want to mess around with as it gets complicated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Subwoofer...

Drew,

Should have put 1 & 1 together and figured out it was you who wrote the article - nice one.

I was surprised to see the subwoofer... it is stock to the best of my knowledge and is located beside the first aid kit, behind the backseat left headrest - I didn't see and "Bose" logo. I didn't measure it, but believe it is 10" diameter.

I live in the 1st and Commercial area, so the Boundary dealership is probably closer for me, but tje car was orginally purchased at the W. Broadway location and I've met a few people there in the past, so that's where I'm headed to get the squeaky seat fixed.

Two interesting lighting features I found in the car are:
1. overhead light for rear passengers
2. light under sill of driver's side door - illuminating the ground below, so you know what's there before you plant your feet.

Looking forward to my first experience of benz service -- hope these are few and far between!

dan[8D]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Dan...

I was surprised to see the subwoofer... it is stock to the best of my knowledge and is located beside the first aid kit, behind the backseat left headrest - I didn't see and "Bose" logo. I didn't measure it, but believe it is 10" diameter.
Thanks for the compliments. I'll have a C320 wagon review up in the next little while, after the E-class review. Very impressive wagon, by the way. I enjoyed the time that I had with it.

The Bose sub in the C is 22 centimetres in diameter, so it's a good sized model. In fact, it is almost as large as the one in the S-class!

Here is a tip...press the AUD button on your headunit, followed by EXT. Next, select AMBIENTE. You'll find a tremendous improvement in sound quality.

I live in the 1st and Commercial area, so the Boundary dealership is probably closer for me, but tje car was orginally purchased at the W. Broadway location and I've met a few people there in the past, so that's where I'm headed to get the squeaky seat fixed.
If you go to W.Broadway, I'd recommend Lino Dinozzi as the service advisor. He knows his stuff and is very pleasant to deal with (undoubtedly why he has won the best service advisor in Canada award in the past) Others haven't been as good.

I myself go to the Boundary Rd dealership because it is closer to where I live, and I know everyone there. [:)]. I'd recommend William Law or John Yuen (if he's there) as the S.A at Boundary Rd.

It is interesting that you have a first aid kit in the parcel shelf as mine is located in the trunk! Yes, I have a C in the family as well [;)] I wasn't going to post any pictures till I installed all of the modifications that I've bought, but here is a sneak peek [:D] We have the rarest colour in the entire lineup!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Drew

is that V6 4Matic added-on. it looks nice. didn't see that on other car.

also, the front side blinker looks white instead of the traditional yellow. that is another mod, isn't it?[:)]

looks reallllllllllllllllly nice.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Thanks!

is that V6 4Matic added-on. it looks nice. didn't see that on other car.
Yup, and it's not something that you can purchase either. I had to buy the V6 Kompressor badges to get just the V6 portions. Altogether I spent CDN$200 in just the badges alone!

also, the front side blinker looks white instead of the traditional yellow. that is another mod, isn't it?[:)]
Yup, LOL, you know me. Those are clear corners. I had those put on even before taking delivery, LOL. I really disliked how the orange ones looked out of place on the car, especially with this colour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is the "EXT" audio setting?

Drew said:
Thanks for the compliments. I'll have a C320 wagon review up in the next little while, after the E-class review. Very impressive wagon, by the way. I enjoyed the time that I had with it.

The Bose sub in the C is 22 centimetres in diameter, so it's a good sized model. In fact, it is almost as large as the one in the S-class!

Here is a tip...press the AUD button on your headunit, followed by EXT. Next, select AMBIENTE. You'll find a tremendous improvement in sound quality.

If you go to W.Broadway, I'd recommend Lino Dinozzi as the service advisor. He knows his stuff and is very pleasant to deal with (undoubtedly why he has won the best service advisor in Canada award in the past) Others haven't been as good.

I myself go to the Boundary Rd dealership because it is closer to where I live, and I know everyone there. [:)]. I'd recommend William Law or John Yuen (if he's there) as the S.A at Boundary Rd.

It is interesting that you have a first aid kit in the parcel shelf as mine is located in the trunk! Yes, I have a C in the family as well [;)] I wasn't going to post any pictures till I installed all of the modifications that I've bought, but here is a sneak peek [:D] We have the rarest colour in the entire lineup!

I also live in Vancouver. It's great to find a message board with local people contributing. I have 2001 C240 6-sp and I have read on multiple message boards that you can improve the sound quality by accessing the "EXT" options and setting them to "AMB". But how do I get the audio system to display "EXT"? If I press the "AUD" button it cycles through "Bass", "Treble", "Fader", and "Balance". It never goe to an "EXT" menu. My instrument cluster displays "SP" in the upper right hand corner, which I assume means the "EXT" setting is on "Speech", but I have no way of changing it. Step by step instructions would help.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts